II

The days had passed since Alenna arrived at Wessex, the royal family seemed increasingly tense and she would love to understand what was going on in the king's mind but she didn't want to intrude.
Alenna cared about Alfred after all they were always great friends. She felt her heart tight as she stared at him behind the half-open door. Alfred had a stiff face and she noticed how much he had changed and became a handsome man but she had her concerns about the court, unlike her Alfred was a bastard and had no right to the throne, people didn't accept the resignation of his brother Aethered and the whispers have got to her.

"I know you're there, Alenna."

Alenna was a little startled by the suddenly broken silence, she could swear that the only person who would know of her presence was herself.

"I'm sorry I wanted to talk to you but I didn't want to disturb I tough it was better to wait." Alenna said as she entered the room.

The king took a deep breath and returned to the table resting both arms on top of wood looking at Alenna.

"If you like to admire me you don't need to hide from me my queen."

"Oh Alfred! This isn't the time for silliness."

Alenna turned her back to the king and faced the fireplace that heated the room. Alfred soon became serious because he wasn't accustomed to this posture of Alenna, usually she always entered into his games that's when she wasn't the one that started.

"Then tell me why you here Alenna, you came to me."

"I don't know what is going on in your mind young king but I worry about you." The queen quickly approached him looking into his eyes.

"Alenna I don't want to be rude to you but I don't think battles are one of your interests, the vikings are here and I got to think fast."

"Alfred these vikings have been in your lands since when your grandfather was the king I see no difference."

Alfred took a deep breath and walked away from the woman going the other side of the room, he looked impatient and frustrated.

"You saw how people acted when I said I wanted to talk to the heathen Alenna, I just want to protect what is under my command.People don't accept any decision I make they are always questioning me and I don't need you doing the same."

"Alfred, I don't care if you have ten thousand people questioning your command, you are the king of England they obey you or they die. "

Alfred looked a little startled to the queen who was in the same room as him, all that the man could think was how Alenna has changed so much the way she thinks. He was sure that if it was a few years ago she would be afraid to kill a fly and now here she was with encouraging words and cold eyes, Alfred no longer knew if he still had a friend or just another ally.

"Things are different Alenna you know that, I turned into man and a king and you became a beautiful woman and a queen. You lost your parents and I lost my father and suddenly all responsibilities were thrown on our shoulders. We can not act irrationally I can't go out and kill every person who doesn't agree with me. "

"I'm sorry but sometimes you have to put things in the right places Alfred, if you don't then someone else will. My people belived in your command when I joined you, I belive in you so don't make me regret it."