Chapter 2

Abeline

Abeline had never seen so many students in one condensed area. The hallways were like an open savannah; cheetahs running to their next class, hyenas laughing it up with their friends, and meerkats running away from their predators. It was exhilarating and frightening all at the same time.

The day had gone good so far. School lunches here weren't as scary as people personified them to be, teachers were doing pretty good at pronouncing her name, and she had little to no trouble finding her classes.

All around her were people of every category you could possibly imagine. Students of different ethnicities were seen roaming the halls. Clothes varied from person to person. It was a wonderful mix of everything. France seemed so bland compared to oozing delights of American culture. Everyone was different but yet no one seemed to stand out. That is until fifth period.

Sitting in her desk, waiting for the teacher to start talking, Abeline laid eyes on the most heart wrenching boy she'd ever seen. He casually strolled in moments after the bell had rang. He had an aura of carefree was and it showed in the languid flowing of his movements. His legs were wrapped in dark denim jeans that complimented his grey shirt that advertised a band Abeline had never heard of but was determined to find out. The shirt hung off his prominent shoulder blades and left a little too much to the imagination for Abeline's likings. On his feet were scuffed black chucks with grey laces. Upon looking at his face, Abeline's heart stopped. Creamy, flawless skin paled in comparison to his enticing eyes, one a rich amber, the other a sky blue. She wanted to study each and every eyelash that framed those gorgeous eyes. His lip was decorated with a sinful lip ring that sent shivers down her spine. Chocolate hair was tousled to the left side of his angelic face, creating a beautiful curtain.

"Mr. Gates I presume ?" Abeline was snapped out of her trance by the teachers words.

"Yup," there was a pop to the 'p' sound that halted Abeline's breathing. He stood with a loose posture, holding his books with his right hand. His left hand was wedged into the front pocket of his jeans. "Jethro Gates is the name. Don't wear it out."

"Well Mr. Gates, please take a seat."the teacher pointed to the only open desk.

It was in the front of the class, two rows over from where Abeline sat.

She watched him intently from her seat. The way he rolled his eyes when the teacher started talking again and how he would mess with his hair when bored. She memorized the way his legs looked sprawled out without a care in the world. Simple activities, like fussing with his bracelets, had become the most fascinating thing in the world to watch. Once, she saw his tongue flick out over his lip ring, and Abeline died and went to Heaven.

Never in her life had Abeline been more upset than when the bell rang signaling the end of fifth period. Abeline couldn't have told you anything about that class, even if she wanted to. At the drop of a hat, her focus shifted to Jethro and hadn't left her the entire day.