4. Michael

I hated mornings. Why? Because I hated my family. My mom remarried. Yeah. How about that? They allowed her to remarry after my father died. And my stepfather.

God I hate him. He's not Candor at all. He lies so much. And he beats me and his daughter, my stepsister. She was being tested today as well.

I got up and looked in the mirror. I was still slightly bruised. My purple hair a mess. I sighed. " Katie." I yawned, " We have tests."

She groaned. " Uhg."

I smiled, and helped her up. " C'mon. The fasted we get through this, the quicker we can get out of here."

She looked nothing like me. She was beautiful. Pale skin. Long black hair. Dimples. I walked to our single bathroom. " Michael?" my mom called.

I turned. " Yeah mom?"

She sighed, " He's asleep. Get ready quick."

I nodded. As quickly as possible, I pulled on a white shirt, black pants, and a white jacket. I slid my black sneakers on and sighed. " Katie. Let go."

I grabbed my few books, and ran out of my house. Of course I wasn't paying attention. So I ran into someone. I had no clue why I was pissed. But I was. I was weirdly angry.

" Watch it!"

I stopped everything. He apologized. " I'm sorry. I'm so sorry!"

I shrugged and glared at him, " I don't have time for wimpy curly haired Amitys!"

He started crying, and I kinda felt bad, I'm sorry! Is an apology not enough! I'm stressed today as well! And I don't have time to be scolded by a purple haired Candor!"

I tried to stand him up. Which was easy since I was taller. " Watch it Curly."

" My name is Ashton! NOT CURLY!" He yelled.

A Dauntless pulled him back. I didn't hear what they were saying. But Ashton glared at me and walked off.

I grumbled, " Amitys."

I walked to school, still angry.

***

" Calum Hood and Michael Clifford."

I walked beside an Erudite boy and into the testing room. A Dauntless guy stood there. Oddly tattooless. Brown hair and stubble. " I'm Rian. Michael?"

I nodded, " Yeah."

" Okay. Sit down."

I sat in the chair and looked at him. " What?" He questioned.

" You seen awfully polite for a Dauntless."

" I was a transfer." He laughed lightly, " You can guess where from."

" So. Why did you leave?"

" Candor's really so speak their minds." He sighed, " Here. Drink this when your ready."

I took a deep breath. And I drank.

A second later. I was in a room. Long and mirrored. Two table like things were in front of me. " Choose."

Why? I just looked plain out confused. The knife and cheese were gone. A dog taking their place. " It's not real." I whispered, " It can't hurt me."

I saw myself. Small. Young. Blonde instead of odd hair colors. " It's not real." I gritted my teeth.

The dog was stalking towards the smaller younger me. " HEY!" I yelled.

The dog turned towards me. And started running. " It's not real." I whispered, " None of this is real."

And it was over. Rian was staring at me like I was an alien, " Dude."

" What?"

" You got 4 results."

" What results."

" Dauntless. Abnegation. Erudite. And your own faction just because. How the hell does that happen?"

" I just did what felt right."

He sighed, " This is bad. Really bad."

Now I'm worried, " Why?" I asked, " Rian why is that bad?!"

" Your inconclusive. Your not categorized."

" Like the Divergent-"

He put his hand over my mouth, " Do you have a death wish?! Keep your mouth shut! And wait outside on the bench."

So I listened. I sat on the metal bench until he came out. " Listen Michael. Your on a death list now. I know people that could help you in every faction. But only we could help you in Dauntless. So you have to be careful tomorrow."

" Why? Are they going to kill me?" I was worried.

" Not unless they find out. So go home. Relax. And just stay safe."

" Thank you Rian."

He smiled, " You remind me of someone. Let's just leave it at that."

***

" KATHERINE!" Was all it heard when I walked inside.

I ran to my room. The door was locked. " Katie." I said, " Katie let me in."

She opened the door, tugging me in and pulling me inside. She was crying. Lip quivering, face tear stained and she had a bright red mark on her face. I put my arms around her. And she instantly started sobbing, " I'm scared Mikey."

" I know Katie. I know. One more day."

" I wanna leave! He's not my dad! I wish he wasn't!"

" Shh. Your okay. Just calm down."

He sat down and cried. I'm going to kill him. I stormed out of my room. " WHAT DID YOU DO?!" I yelled, seeing my stepfather Jacob.

He rolled his eyes, " Katherine wouldn't tell her result. I punished her. It's nothing I never do."

" TOUCH HER AGAIN AND I'LL KILL YOU!"

He laughed with no humor, " Your a boy Michael. Go to your room."

" YOUR NOT MY FATHER! AND YOU WON'T LAY A HAND ON KATIE!"

" She's not your sister either your little disgrace. Your not honest enough to be Candor. You lie about her being your sister."

" THEN YOUR NOT HER FATHER! SHE'S MY SISTER!"

To stunned to speak, he just walked out of the room. I walked back to my bedroom, Katie still crying. " Hey. One more day and we're out of here." I said.

" I wanna leave!" She cried, " I wanna leave now!"

" Katie. It's gonna be okay."

I hope it will be. Rian's words replayed in my head, ' You remind me of someone.' And, ' We could help you in Dauntless.'

Who's we? How many people are there that could help me? Who could I remind him of? I'm just a stupid kid from Candor. A kid from Candor who is probably going to die.