Chapter Four

Suddenly there is a bright light and Jem shields his eyes, after a couple seconds he starts to peek. He soon realizes that the bright light is the sun peeking over the trees. He realizes he was supposed to be home hours ago, and worse, that his sister was home hours ago which will raise suspicion with their father. Sierra stirs and cuddles into his side. He doesn't know what to do, while he knows he needs to get him before his father realizes he's still gone and grounds him until the end of the space-time continuum. Though, on the other hand, he has liked this girl for quite a while. If what she said was true, that Jem was the only person who has ever truly supported her in her life, then it would be quite rude to wake her up, from sleep that appears to be deep and comfortable.

As he ponders what to do, she stirs a bit more, but actually wakes up this time. She reaches up and kisses his cheek. Then rests her head back on his chest, followed by her looking up at him, yawning and saying 'good morning' in her sleepy, angelic, tired voice.

The angelic voice boggled his brain which caused Jem to forget the severity of his departure. So the pair just laid there on the grass, enjoying the sunrise. Once the sun had risen Sierra made her way off Jem's chest and into a vertical position. It hit Jem that he had to be getting home, so he followed suit. They shared a long hug that Sierra had to go on her tippy toes for, and as they were pulling apart Sierra kissed Jem's cheek. After saying their goodbyes the two adolescents diverged and that was the last Jem saw of Sierra Radley.