13. Do You Love Qian Ping?

"You're Consort Liu Ding Yiu aren't you?" Heng repeated, seeing Ding Yiu hadn't answered. Even so, he was confident he was right about her.

"How long have you known?" Ding Yiu questioned. She decided it was best not to deny she was Consort Liu. Sima Heng had such a definitive look when he said it, he must have some proof. She will have to be cautious until she's certain of what he knows.

"A few days ago I saw you in Ping Tian Palace. You put on a veil when you headed to the servants house to help this little maid here," Heng began. He looked at Wan Xin, "your name is Wan Xin right?"

"Yes, that's my name," Wan Xin answered. She stayed calm, letting Ding Yiu take care of the situation. She will just play along to any lies her Xiaojie came up with.

"Seeing Wan Xin, you became certain I am Consort Liu," Ding Yiu went on. "It was obvious with her still wearing the maid outfit from Ping Tian Palace." She paused to think, [so that's how Sima Heng recognized me as Consort Liu]. Ding Yiu now felt slightly more relaxed about this, [he doesn't seem to know anything else. I presume he hasn't properly met Xiao Yiu either]. "I suspect you recognized me before seeing Wan Xin."

"I'd never forget such a charming person like you," Heng genuinely commented. "I was there watching the whole incident with Madam Xiong. It was satisfying." A mischievous smile appeared on his face as he reminisced the moment. "Ah, I'm mad at Qian Ping for not introducing you to me sooner Consort Liu. I've a strong feeling we would get along very well."

Ding Yiu raised an eyebrow at Heng's last comment. She chose to ignore it for now. There was this small detail that bothered her. She directly asked, "Why didn't you call me Consort Liu when Xia Qian Ping introduced me to you?"

"Because I was doing you a favour," Heng lied. [Actually, I was too confused when Qian Ping didn't recognize you], Heng muttered in his mind. [That's why I didn't say or do anything]. He said more sincerely, "I want to hear your reasons first before making any decisions." He winked, "I'm kind towards beautiful women you see."

Ding Yiu politely nodded, pretending to accept his questionable concern for her. [I vaguely grasp the situation with Sima Heng now], she concluded, [now I need to come up with a convincing story]. Ding Yiu thought hard. [I can't let him find out the reason Xia Qian Ping doesn't recognize me, is because my other personality subconsciously disguises our face].

"You can trust me," Heng said earnestly, "no matter what, you are Qian Ping's wife. I won't harm you."

[I can't come up with a plausible story...] Ding Yiu was still busy thinking. "I don't know where to begin," she finally said, half giving up. "What do you want to know?"

[There's a ton of things I want to know], Heng now concentrated, [but the most important are definitely...] Heng took in a deep breath, "first, why doesn't Qian Ping recognize you as Consort Liu? Second, are the rumours about you true? Third," Heng paused for a second. "I'll ask you the final question after you've answered the previous two."

"You're aware my marriage to Xia Qian Ping was decreed by the Emperor?"

"Yes," Heng said, "I know Qian Ping himself never approved of this marriage. He went through with it because the Emperor placed immense pressure on him."

"He still doesn't approve of me now," Ding Yiu pointed out. "As far as I can remember, he's never properly looked at me. He's always treated me like I'm a translucent ghost."

"That doesn't make sense," Heng reasoned. "He immediately recognized you as the girl he met a year ago today. How could he possibly not recognize you for the past year?" Heng went on to reveal, "do you know Qian Ping's been searching for you all this time? If he's caught even a glimpse of your face he would surely know."