11. Repeating First Encounters (Part 2)

1 Year Ago....

"Let go," Qian Ping said, as calmly as possible to mask how angry he was with her. "If you don't show me respect, I won't listen to you."

Liu Ding Yiu listened to Prince Ping and released him from her grip. Immediately the nearby guards took hold of her. She didn't resist, watching the Prince smooth out his creased robe. "There are some innocent women held captive by the underworld merchant. He headed south to an inn with them," Ding Yiu informed. "You must go and save them."

"Send someone to investigate this matter," Prince Ping turned to address his guard, "I'll decide if it's necessary to intervene after I know more details." He took one glance at Ding Yiu, "also, take the girl to the side and wait. There's no need to be forceful with her."

"Yes your highness," the guard answered.

On Prince Ping's orders, the guards started to carefully guide Ding Yiu away. She stared in exasperation, watching the Prince readily get back into his sedan. [Is he planning to do nothing about this], Ding Yiu wondered. [I'm counting on him to take revenge for that girl]. "Why are you waiting around?" she yelled at him. "I've already told you all the details you need to know."

"How do I know you're not lying?" Prince Ping turned to give Ding Yiu a cold look. "I don't know who you are. I'm not wrong to be more cautious."

Ding Yiu looked away. She hated to admit that the prince had a valid argument. If it was her in his position, she wouldn't blindly go and rescue some slaves just because a stranger demanded for it. However, Ding Yiu remembered hearing that the Second Prince had quite a righteous personality. [He's just too level-headed at the moment], Ding Yiu perceived. [But if Prince Ping are as the rumours say, then I can surely provoke him to act on his virtuous nature]. "Coward," Ding Yiu deliberately muttered loud enough for the prince to hear. "I was wrong to place my hopes in a weakling like you. I should've known better." She shook her head, her eyes displaying pity, "you're just a big disappointment."

"How could you insult Prince Ping like this?" the guard restraining Ding Yiu hit her on the back, "out of all the Princes, I dare say Prince Ping is the wisest and most compassionate."

"Would a respectable prince allow his guards to hit a defenceless girl?" Ding Yiu challenged. She glared at the upset guard, daring him to hit her again. [As long as I can lure the Prince to the underworld merchant, he will take action], Ding Yiu believed. [He just needs to hurry up and go before I start to do something drastic]. "From what I've seen so far, Prince Pink is just petty-minded."

"You," the guard raised his hand.

"Stop! Enough," Prince Ping shouted. He threw the guard a look to prevent him from hitting the insolent girl. [My pride's already been reduced to almost nothing from her accusations], Prince Ping thought, [I'm not giving her more excuses to belittle me]. "Say I will believe your words," he began, "and I'm willing to go and help those slaves. You do realise that as a Prince, I'm not supposed to directly meddle in the underworld business." He lowered his voice, "there are strict regulations we follow when dealing with the underworld."

Ding Yiu nodded, intentionally flickering scornful glances at the prince. "I'm glad," she mocked, "I'm glad that you aren't the crown prince. For if you ever became King, with such a narrow mind like yours, this Kingdom will...." Ding Yiu didn't say the brazen words out loud but she visibly mouthed, 'surely fall'.

Wrath consumed Prince Ping as he reached to yank the offensive girl towards him. "You dare to speak those treacherous words," he breathed heavily. He was struggling to control the burning desire in him to slap this girl's face and teach her a lesson. The only thing keeping him from doing so, was he knew if he did anything to her, she would come up with more words to ridicule him. He pressed his lips together in frustration. Never in his life has he met anyone who could rile him up so much. He was at a loss. [What am I supposed to do with you], he mentally cursed the girl in front of him, his grip on her clothes tightening.