Chapter Nine

The news had come as a shock for Kaitlyn. She had always viewed her parents as a team, a rock solid team that nothing could break. As it turned out, there was something that could ruin it, and that something was her.

Secretly, Kaitlyn had always wanted to be like her parents. She wanted the fairytale that they seemed to have. So it crushed her to find out it was a lie.

When she walked back into the living room after the phone call, T-Man had noticed a difference. Kaitlyn had curled up in the armchair and pulled her knees up to her chest. She held her phone clenched tightly in her hand.

“Everything ok?” he’d asked. She’d smiled briefly at him and gone back to watching the rugby, and when the boys finally went home to prepare for the race later that night, she’d made him dinner.

Just before midnight they left to go to the races. T-Man had originally wanted to drive his ugly Skyline. Kaitlyn had complained about the interior.

“Seriously,” she’d whined, “could your car be any messier?” Empty chip packets littered the front passenger wheel well, along with empty condom wrappers and squished beer cans.

T-Man had rolled his eyes. “Don’t be such a princess.”

She’d eyed the car distastefully. “Is it even safe to sit? I won’t catch a nasty STD or anything will I?”

T-Man had frowned. “Girl, stop hating on my car. If it’s that bad, why don’t we take your car?”

She’d hesitated, looking between T-Man’s ugly black and blue Skyline and her own Hatchback Impreza. Her car was definitely the nicer option.

“I don’t know…” she had said, chewing her bottom lip. “Carter bought me that car. It’s not mine, it’s his.”

T-Man had shrugged. “So? As you so sweetly pointed out, my car is the pits. Yours is new. I vote we take yours.”

Kaitlyn had looked at it and shrugged. “Ok, but you’re driving. I don’t know where we’re going.”

It was a half an hour drive away, in Auckland’s CBD. The race was to begin at the intersection of Karangahape Road and West Terrace, where it was usually pretty quiet. Racers would drive along Karangahape Road, or K’Road as it was more commonly known, until they reached the Queen Street intersection. Then, they would turn a sharp left, and drive one point six kilometres downhill, most likely speeding, until they reached the ferry building. They’d take a sharp right and drive until they reached a short one-way street. They’d go up that street and turn right onto Beach Road, which was ironically, nowhere near the beach. They’d take a slow turn onto the winding Anzac Avenue, a street famed for its cheap student accommodation, and then merge into one of the busiest roads in Auckland. They would continue up Symonds Street until they reached the other end K’Road, which they would turn right onto and continue along until they reached the start line again.

If someone was driving normally, at fifty kilometres an hour the whole way, and didn’t mind illegally cutting through the bus only part of Queen Street, it would take about fifteen minutes to drive the whole track. However, at the speeds the racers went, it was estimated that it would only take five.

As T-Man and Kaitlyn arrived at the starting point, Kaitlyn grew silent. Carter would be at the race tonight, and after her mum’s shocking revelation this afternoon, she wasn’t sure that she could take seeing him.

Luckily, looking good was her best defence, and looking at Kaitlyn now, you couldn’t tell that she was hurting inside. Before coming out tonight, she’d changed into her leather hot pants that Carter said made her ass look hot. She’d teamed them with a plain black tank top and an off-the-shoulder t-shirt in blue. She had a giant pink heart in it, with a slightly smaller gold heart poking out from under it. Instead of her usual high tops, she’d chosen black military style high heel boots.