Chapter 2 Jack (In Prata)

Chapter 2 lays out Jacks character and his interests deeper for the reader. Nelly Bud is introduced in this chapter along side Lodovico and his new apprentice Leon.

By four in the afternoon, the weather over the Erebus Basin had changed without any warning and began to pour down. Jack had wrapped himself up in a blanket by the lit fireplace in his father's library with a copy of 'The Woeful Rebellion' by R. J. Lennards, the well-known author of a book series retelling his personal experiences while a prisoner under the cults cruel chains.

Miss. Tenderly entered the room and started to close the curtains. It was quite dark outside by then, and the fire cast enough light for Jack to read by. "Master Jack," Miss. Tenderly asked as she tugged at the curtains, "shall I serve dinner in here or the dining room?"

Jack looked up from his book at Miss. Tenderly. "Do we have guests?" He asked.

"Not that I know of, master Jack."

"Well then, I will have it in here," Jack said bringing his attention back to the book at hand.

The maid left, closing the door behind her.

The fire slowly burned down and Jack chucked another log onto it to make sure it stayed bright enough to read by.

After what seemed to be a while, voices could be heard from the hallway, making Jack look up sharply from his book. The muffled voices drew closer to the door before it opened and a man dressed in a trench coat and a top hat strolled into the library. He left a trail of water from his wet coat on the carpet. Miss. Tenderly wouldn't be pleased.

"Jack!" He shouted excitedly. "I am back from Paris." He walked over to the fire where Jack was sitting. "Are you not going to get up and greet your Tutor?" He asked surprised.

Jack placed his book to one side, rose, and shook hands with the large man.

"I suppose Arken has left to Virtutem Spei?"

Jack nodded. "Have you had dinner yet?"

Lodovico shook his head. "The road is long and there were no suitable stops along the way. Chelmsford was out of the question." He said with his brow furrowed. "Since last year it has become a haven for black marketeers."

"Miss. Tenderly!" Jack called. "We will be having dinner in the dining room set for two!"

"Make that three!" Lodovico called.

Jack stared at his Tutor. "You have company?"

Lodovico smiled. He was rather a good cheerful fellow for a Tutor, thought Jack and was glad his Uncle had picked him to fill in while he was away on business trips.

"I picked up a 3rd class apprentice while in Paris. Rather shy he is, but that is to be expected." Lodovico said.

Jack glanced at the doorway to notice a grubby boy who looked to be around the age of 11 standing there. It was quite evident that the boy was from the drags of society.

It was common practice for a tutor to pick up more than one apprentice at a time. When Lodovico had been asked to take on Jack, he already had two other apprentices that were nearing the end of their studies, and likewise now with Jack and this new apprentice.

The sound of the doorbell made Lodovico jump. "Are you expecting anyone?" He asked.

Jack shook his head, he had forgotten about how Lodovico was due to arrive that evening and wasn't sure who could be calling at this hour. He left the library and arrived at the front door as Miss. Tenderly opened it.

The hallway light fell upon a girl no older than Jack. She was well dressed for the downpour and carried a lantern in one hand while a parcel wrapped in leathers in the other.