Chapter 31: Arranged

"What am I going to do?" Simon panicked. "My parents are very traditional. They might not accept that I..." He glanced over at Jaysen and furrowed his brows.

"I'm sure your parents will understand," Jaysen reassured.

"Understanding is one thing. Accepting, on the other hand, might not be as easy." Johnny explained.

"Yeah," Timothy agreed. "Johnny and I met them."

Jaysen lifted an inquisitive brow as he listened attentively.

"It was fine until they found out that the two of us were together."

"I'm sorry," Simon apologized.

"Why are you apologizing?" Johnny chuckled. "It's not your fault."

"They are my parents after all."

"What happened?" Jaysen wondered.

"Well, they think that we're a bad influence. They can't find out that Simon is still hanging out with us."

"I see." Jaysen petted the top of Simon's head. "Don't worry. Things will work out."

"You haven't met my father. He could be difficult to reason with."

"As long as you want to be with me, I'll fight for us."

"I want to be with you."

***

Simon heard the doorbell and practically jumped out of his skin. Wiping his sweaty palms on his sweatpants, he nervously went to open the door. "Mother. Father. Why are you guys here?"

"There's no need to pretend," Mr. Gong interjected. "I'm sure you know that we're visiting. Logan is always so overprotective of you."

Simon's eyes darted over to his cousin, who was standing beside his mother. "Logan ge."

Logan threw Simon an apologetic look and sighed.

No wonder Logan ge never admitted that he and Bailin ge are together. Simon's shoulders slightly slouched forward in dismay, as his parents and Logan went inside. The two elders seated themselves on the couch, while Logan occupied an adjacent loveseat.

"Why are you still standing there?" Mr. Gong asked in an authoritative tone. "Come sit down."

Simon shut the door and went to join them on the couch.

"Is it true?" His mother stared at him sadly. "Are you really dating a man?"

"Mother, I..." Simon didn't finish what he was saying but nodded instead.

"I remember that you liked girls when you were in school. Didn't you have a big crush on a girl a grade ahead of you?"

"I didn't like her for more than a friend. You just assumed that I did, and I didn't deny it."

"So, you..." Mrs. Gong hesitated, "really like men?"

"I don't know," Simon answered honestly. "I just know that I like him."

Mrs. Gong covered her mouth with both hands and started crying from the shock. "How did this happen? I raised a son."

"I'm still your son," Simon claimed.

"I mean a normal son," she uttered.

"Just because I like ge doesn't mean that I'm not normal." Simon noticed that Logan was frowning in hopelessness.