dieci | MISTLETOES & KISSERS

A/N:

You can tell this is ridiculously late :-0

YOU WOULD'VE think we were having dinner after attending a funeral.

Orion smirked at Hunter - he's been doing that for the past few minutes and was not helping - and with one elbow propped lazily on the table, he motioned for the bowl closest to him. "Peas, please?"

I was this close to kicking him under the table and by the steel narrowing of my eyes burning on his forehead, Orion knew it too, coughed, and sat back up properly, smiling a little less like a smirk.

As Hunter silently passed the bowl, Orion thanked him without raising an eyebrow, making a salacious comment, or smirking. Which was progress so far. He turned to me as if asking for assurance like a dog that he did good, but I stubbornly refused to make eye contact.

Of course this was a play, acting out the part of the one night stand partner that lasted for an entire season, it was starting to burn through every facet of a decent dinner like a forest fire.

After he had taken back his apparent 'missing shirt' strewn just casually over the sofa and locking himself back in the bathroom, the room had gone silent as a grave.

It was only my quiet and rigid assurance to finish this dinner decently that made its way for them to sit in the plastic chairs and get themselves each a serving of mashed potato.

And so the taunting and offhand comments started.

A minute of silence isn't unusual. But Finn and Orion wasn't aware of my usual.

"So, Orion," Hunter started with a pleasantly fake smile plastered on his face like a politician. "What'd you bring for potluck?"

"Potluck isn't necessary," is my reply. And it was. Only none of them were trying to be civilised with each other.

But Orion smiled back, as fake as Hunter as possible. "I tried making something but I got too burnt out. Thinking too hard what would Bree like, what would you like so..." He shrugged, his smile biting and wolfish. "Next time, sir, I promise. I'll make sure to make one up."

Hunter froze, his smile prickling as he gritted his teeth.

I didn't need to raise my head to glare at Orion anymore. I reared my leg back as far as I could and threw the kick as hard as possible. He yelped, his eyes going wild before he forced a simpering smile. He stared at me until I looked up and matched his stony look.

This is going to be a long night, I thought. And at Orion's smirk as if he knew what I was thinking, he was agreeing with me.

Hunter stared at the both of us, burning and confused, before he sighed and popped open the bottle of wine. It was mostly decoration and for Hunter's benefits. Just a few sips since he has to drive back and I didn't have a lot of alcohol as I wasn't a big drinker to begin with, but Orion and I stared at him as he poured his glass to the brim.