1

Three girls walked through the halls of Oakville High as if they owned the place. The three head cheerleaders, Lindsay, Sierra, and Savana, always directed the hallways. They never did it out of force, but no one felt the need to be in their way.

"Well, if it isn't the scum of the school," Calum said quickly as they approached their lockers. "Bruise on your knee? Wonder what that's from." He looked down at Lindsay's knee, a large purple bruise covering it.

She rolled her eyes. "You do know that cheerleading is a sport, right? We use our bodies to do all those stunts. A few bruises are bound to happen."

"Sure." Luke stood up from leaning on his locker. "Like Savana's aren't from anything else."

"Yeah, my tumbling class I volunteer in on weekends." She answered, grabbing her geometry textbook. "Listen, if you're gonna make fun of us, at least make them good insults."

Michael walked up to her with his arms crossed. "As if you could come up with any better."

"You suck."

"And you swallow."

"You're right." Savana answered. "I think if I had to choose between you and a leper, I'd take my chances on the leper, you repulsive beast."

"Sure, you would."

Savana scoffed. "I hate you."

"Likewise, bitch." They stared at one another for ages before Sierra pulled Savana's arm away.

She looked back at the boys. "Let's go. We don't want idiocy to rub off on us. We're able to pass our classes."

Ashton laughed. "Oh, yeah? How many male teachers you gotta bribe?"

"Don't have to bribe when you're smart!" Sierra called back.

The guys grabbed their textbooks and hurried to science. "I wish our lockers weren't next to theirs. I hate getting my blood pressure up before class."

"Something else is up, too, but I don't think Michael would say anything."

"Shut the hell up."

—-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Savana tapped her pen on her desk as she listened to her teacher drone on about the angle bisector theorem. She groaned as she leaned back in her chair. "We already know all of this. Why is he re-teaching it?"

"He said that it's because no one did very well on the last test, so we're going back and reviewing." Sierra explained. "I know we all did well, but that doesn't mean everyone else did."

"Maybe everyone should stop being dumb." Savana sighed as she laid her head down.

Over the intercom, a scratching was heard before the principal's voice came overhead. "Savana Hall, Lindsay Miller, and Sierra Clark to the principal's office. Savana Hall, Lindsay Miller, and Sierra Clark to the principal's office. Thank you."

The three girls looked quizzically at the speaker as it turned off. They packed up their things and walked to the office. "Wonder what he wants us three for?" Sierra shrugged.

"Well, we could be up for an award or something. It is our senior year, so it's probably something graduation related." Lindsay said as they walked.

Savana sighed. "Could be any number of things."

They got to the office and the secretary pointed them back. They headed back, sitting in the chairs in front of the principal's desk. "Good afternoon, ladies." He turned in his chair. "I've heard you three recently came into some new abilities, and I was wondering-"

"Who told you?" Sierra's hand balled up on her lap.

They'd been quiet ever since the morning their abilities appeared. No one knew except the three of them, and they'd preferred it stayed that way. It was bad enough getting attention as the head cheerleaders, but now they were faced with super human abilities, and sometimes it felt hard to keep them contained.

"I'm actually hoping to become a captain of sorts to you three." He leaned back in his chair. "You see, when I was around your age, I was given a gift as well. I can see any multitude of options before me, their likelihood of happening, and their likelihood of success."

"So you can see the future?" Savana crossed her arms.

"I can see many different futures, and which one is likeliest to come to fruition." He answered. "What can you all do?"

Lindsay picked at her nails. "How can we trust you?" The other two looked at her, confused. "I know we can trust you as a principal, but as a hero leader, I-I don't know."

"I can tell you now that I know all of your powers. I want to give you three the chance to tell me."

"But that didn't answer her question." Savana sat up. "How do we know we can trust you and this isn't part of some government scheme to try and padlock us in some prison for testing?"

Their principal sighed, then hit a button on his desk. The door behind them locked and they were spun around into a laboratory-type area. "Ladies, I've been doing this hero thing a lot longer than you have, and I'm offering to you what I never had: guidance. It was hard being the only one with super human abilities, and I'd like to help you become the type of heroes that are able to save the world, if it came down to it." He stood, allowing the other three girls to follow him. "Here is where you'd come down to get missions, if you were to accept my offer. I'd create your hero costumes with your input, and I'd become a sort of leader to your pack of three."

"What do you get out of it?" Savana asked. "This is a lot you're offering, and all you want to do is lead us? Seems pretty generous."

"Is leading the next generation of heroes not a reward in itself?" He responded.

Savana could tell that the other two were even skeptical about taking his offer. "Fine. We'll do it, but we reserve the right to back out at any time. If we feel something fishy is going on, we're stopping this union and going back to how we did it before. We'd give everything back and start doing freelance stuff without a captain."

"That sounds like a deal, Savana." He nodded. "And are you two on the same page?"

They nodded. "I just don't know how this is going to work. We're in our senior year of high school, and we don't have much time left. There's winter break and spring break, too, then class stress. I don't know how we'd be able to manage it all."

"I'd be changing one of your electives to have a training period in my secondary office. On your updated schedule, you'll be aiding in the front office. I'll give you a pass on some classes, and since it's coming from my office, most teachers will accept late or tardy slips. I'll send you home with a permission slip for your parents to sign, saying that they're okay with you taking the aide credit. It does look good on college applications."

The three girls had already committed to their colleges. Being scouted on the cheer team did come with a lot of perks. "Okay, but what about cheer practice and games?"

"Those are an important part of high school. Unless something dire comes up, you'll still attend practices and games regularly."

"Alright, then," Lindsay smiled a bit. "Looks like we've got ourselves a leader."