Chapter 1

I woke up and the air was incredibly humid. A hurricane was brewing mid Atlantic Ocean, one of the men at the dock warned. Of course I was worried, but I had no place to go. I was a sitting duck. I can't drive and I don't have anyone that could get me out of the area without asking questions about my family.

The lie wasn't going to last forever.

School was out so families can evacuate. The streets were lined up with cars packed with people and belongings on the roofs. Little kids drew pictures on the misty windows as they tried to ignore the parents obvious and loud cursing at the traffic.

I however walked from my tiny cottage on the beach to the grocery store to stock up on food and batteries. I had plenty, but I despised the task of boarding up the house. It made me way to anxious and I tended to procrastinate.

I opened the door and the little bell rang. The old man working at the counter looked up from the cash register and gave me a smile.

"Ah, Miss Morgan, how are you this fine day?" Richard asked. I smiled.

"Just dandy but A bit anxious for the storm," I replied, picking up a bag of chips and a jug of water.

"It shouldn't be too bad, nothing we haven't endured before," he said and I nodded.

"I know but still, the last storm was too close for comfort," I said, putting my money on the counter. He took it and put it into the register and gave me a pack of gum.

"On the house. It'll calm your nerves," he said and I smiled.

"Oh thank you! I do think I will have to be heading home soon, I have to bring in the crab traps before it starts, but you be careful Richie," I said smiling. He laughed.

"Old Richie can look out for himself young lady! You keep you and your aunt safe!" He said waving.

"Will do!" I yelled behind me, leaving the store.

I felt bad about the lie.

I walked back home to my one room one bathroom, tiniest little cottage ever. Maybe 50 square feet in all, I lived alone. No parents and no family. No car no anything but the electricity bill and a bit of furniture.

I went in, placing my supplies on the counter and walked out the back door to the dock that had my crab traps suspended from the railing. It began to start to sprinkle rain so I quickly pulled them up to see one or two small crabs. I picked the little ones up and threw them back into the water. I dragged my crab traps and put them into my small shed and chained the door shut. I put a couple of heavy rocks in front of it in hopes for it not to open during the storm. I then went inside to pull boards out of the closet to nail onto the outside of my windows. The rain started to pick up as I was finishing the last window. I ran inside, locking my front door and pushing my couch in front of it and my table in front of the back door. I started some soup cooking on the small stove and put bread in the oven. I turned on the tv and switched it over to the weather channel. A serious man sat infront of me on the screen.

"If you are in the area for impact of the hurricane, get out now," he said simply and they switched it over to a chart.

I wish I could Mr.Weatherman. I wish I could.