Chapter 1: The Innocent Meet Up

Chapter 1:

Blake's POV:

I sat out on the balcony of my apartment, letting the night breeze in. I was sat Indian-style with a cup of hot peppermint tea in one hand and my phone in the other. I was listening to Keep Holding On by Falling In Reverse, admiring every lyric and humming along. I was so happy to have made it here. I was just a small town girl with very few friends and a little bit of music in my veins, and yet, I made it. I made it to Los Angeles. The band and I had worked so hard to get our name out there, and finally, after three long years, we were here. I smiled to myself, taking another sip of my tea. I heard the door open and I looked behind me.

"Hey."

It was Reece, my cousin, my best friend, and the guitarist in our band, Abrasive Measures.

"Hi.", I replied, briefly glancing at her before returning my gaze to the night sky.

"There aren't as many stars out here as there are at home.", I sighed. I grew up in Louisiana, where it was rural and country-like. Los Angeles was completely different, but in most ways, it was a good different.

Reece sat down beside me, flipping her periwinkle hair behind her.

"There are plenty of stars. Just not the ones you're looking for.", she giggled. I rolled my eyes.

"Did you come out here for a reason, or did you just want to come chill? I know you we're on the phone with Fallon."

Fallon was our manager, and so I knew Reece needed to tell me something.

"There's a meet-up thing they're having tomorrow. It's like, bands from a certain few labels will be there and we have to get to know them. Basically, it's like a band get-together they do every year and Abrasive Measures was invited."

I nodded, but my gut clenched together in my stomach.

"Don't worry. I'll be there and so will Justin, Preston, and Dylan. You've got no reason to be anxious."

"I-I know it's just....I can't help it. But I know I've got to get a little out of my comfort zone to get over my hatred of people, right?", I replied. She laughed. I was a nervous wreck all the time. But I knew that if I wanted to make it in the music industry, I couldn't be afraid to talk to people. On stage, it was a completely different story. I could sing and scream my heart out with no problem. But when I got around groups of people, especially people who were famous, it became a day with a guaranteed panic attack.

"You'll be fine."

I checked the time on my phone. It was nearly 10:00, very early for myself, but I needed to take a shower and try to get sleep. So I excused myself to take care of those things and I laid down.

I wrapped up in my batman comforter and snuggled up to my stuffed owl, staring at the ceiling. It wasn't until around 4:00 AM, after hours of just laying there, that I actually fell asleep. The six hours of sleep I got we're full of morbid dreams and unspeakable nightmares that were usually the cause of my insomnia.

Waking up from the dreaded sleep I loathed, I glanced at my clock. It was a few minutes after ten.

"Reece?!"

"Yeah?!"

"What time do we have to be there? And wait, where are we going?!"

Reece entered my room, hair wet, fresh out of the shower.

"We have to be there at 12:00 PM. And we're meeting at Rise Records."

My eyes went wide.

"Rise? Like , where about fifty percent of the bands I listen to are from?"