1.

You never stood up for me!

You never protected me when everyone was against me!

You.. you never accepted me!

She was broken, her voice went hoarse. This was it, her equilibrium point was hit. He has hurt her beyond repair and now if she forgives him and gives him another chance it will be against her dignity. It will be a slap on her self-respect, which she will hit on her. She can't swallow another sip of humility by staying this time. She held her bags in her hand started to walk.

Please Asmita please, don't leave. Just one chance and I will change everything. I will make things right. I will stand by your side and never leave. Just stay, just stay please.

He pleaded in-front of her. But it all went in vain. She stood right in-front of her, showing him her back. She didn't move, just stood numb. She didn't say a word nor did she turn. And after few seconds she walked, not in his direction but opposite.

He could see his world breaking, moving away. He wanted her to stop. He wanted her to stay. But he knew he is the reason why she is going away. But how can he just give up? How can he loose her without even trying?

Puchki!

Came out a timid voice. She stopped listening to the word he used to refer her. She turned to look at her. Her face showed some different rage and her eyes were fury.

Puchki?

She said rather questioned him. Her voice was nothing but spiteful. And he like always lowered his eyes not able to see into her eyes.

Puchki? Is there someone called Puchki? You remember her Mr. Mozumdar?

She questioned again. He looked at her the moment those words left her mouth. His eyes reflected hurt. He was hurt that she thought he has forgotten his bondhu, his bachpan ki dost puchki.

Puchki.

He said in a meek voice. She turned her face in order to ignore him. Despite he continued.

I know what I did was wrong. But you only tell me ki mai karta kya? Ridoy is my brother. How could I have hurt him? On one side was Ridoy my brother and on one side was you my Wife. He already thinks that because of his disability he can never be loved by anyone and you. Aise mein how could have I broken his heart? You only tell me.

He spoke in a convincing voice, hoping that she must have understood her this time. He tried to hold her through her arms. But she jerked him away. He was shocked would be an understatement. But what shocked him more was what she said.

Mai kya kar sakta hoon? Really Mr. Mozumdar.. you are asking me about what can you do or what could you have done? So listen. Listen, you could have stood by my side when everyone taunted me. You could have shielded me when everyone questioned my character. You could have stopped me and everyone from calling me Ridoy's wife and not yours.

She shouted out all her fury on him. She told him what he could have done being his husband. She told him what all were his duties, which he miserably failed to do.

Ridoy, Ridoy, Ridoy.. Just Ridoy all you care about is Ridoy.. And what did you say WIFE.. really was I your wife? I was your wife tabhi tum ne mujhe apne bhai ke pass bhej dia. Sauda kar dia mera apne bhai ke saath.. bechch dia mujhe apne bhai ko uski khushiyon ke badle mein.

Her voice cracked in the end. The tears which were on the verge to flow down broke the boundaries and started flowing. She felt humiliated and disgusted stand here close to him.

You Shantanu, you exactly did what my father did to my mom. My father sold her in Sonagachi and sold me to your brother. You failed to fulfil even a single promise that you made during our so-called-marriage and today I deny you as my husband. I am breaking all the ties and going. And today no one can stop me. No one!

She removed her tears flowing down her cheeks and turned to leave. He stood there looking at her going away. She stopped after few steps and said.

You know why I stayed till now? I stayed to fulfil the promise of my friendship. I stayed to fulfil my promise of proving you innocent which I accomplished. And may be while accomplishing it I realized that few relations are never meant to be even though they happen due to Durga maa's blessing.

She walked out of the room and his life. He stood there looking at her retreating figure. He couldn't stop her. He didn't have those guts which could make him face her. Her harsh words of truth kept running in mind and echoed in his ears. She went denying him. She rejected him. And he couldn't convince her. He has lost her.

  *****

Please vote and review!!

~Meghna