postlude

You might be asking why things happened the way things did. 

1. Why witches?

Witches in this story are merely a symbol of girls who have done remarkable things -- in Mama Annistyn's case, she found a well of an endless supply of pristine crystal water and a cave of jewels which recreate a minute after being plucked, presenting it to a king -- but are disregarded or dismissed or even unaccepted. 

People can hate things just because they are what they are.

2. How did the rest of the women of Merrigan's bloodline die?

Her mother, Sashka, had died from a saint's offering of drink. Water fused with the wings of snow bees.

Her grandmother, Olaive, inhaled burnt snow bees -- which effused the room in a thick heady smog -- after a good friend of hers insisted she join her to the prayer hall.

Her great-grandmother, Nowaire, collapsed on the dining table of a king she'd presented a mountain of geodes – her founding – to, after swallowing a honey-cake made from a snow bee's honey.

3. Why didn't Mitchska die after the first dose of snow bees, even though it was a powerful measure?

When Mama Annistyn gave birth to her and recognized her as another witch, she instantly cursed Mitchska by just the hatred, shame and disgust she felt toward herself and her daughter. Because of that, God made her the most powerful descendant, to repel Mama Annistyn's attempts of poisoning her. So, digesting snow bees did not affect her. But a blade rent of it did. 

The same went for little Kodiak.

4. Why did I have to kill Jantzen and Inaya?

First of all, I feel Kodiak ended this journey with self-discovery of the capacity to be merciful and forgiving, not having her mind clouded by hatred. Jantzen and Inaya's dispositions are very calm and gentle; remember how Inaya asked Mama Annistyn when they were all gathering in the kitchen, Kodiak in her mother's room? Deep inside, she understood Mama Annistyn's frustration, and thus forgave it. Jantzen told Kodiak the last story which taught her that forgiveness does not come easy, but frees your soul of the dark things, so, wanting to give his soul reprieve from life, Kodiak clutches that value to her heart.  

If I were to let her uncle and aunt live, her story will end with uncontrollable hatred and rage that even Jantzen and Inaya wouldn't be able to soothe. She will rebel against their advising of not to let hatred control her, and Jantzen and Inaya will, in the end, become distressed and worried, to the point perhaps death will take them in a much more painful state.

Last note for 'SNOW BEES'

Phew, this was quite a ride. When I first started SNOW BEES, I didn't expect Jantzen to be on Kodiak's side, and I especially didn't expect him and Mama Annistyn to die. Everything happened unplanned, yet that's what made this journey of Kodiak's so thrilling for me.

Ya Allah, thank you for everything you have gifted me and challenged me with. 

And thank you to all of the beautiful people who followed Kodiak's journey, most especially to the ever loyal @defriended and @mal_liha -- hearts and hugs to the both of youu... 

I hope you all enjoyed reading 'SNOW BEES' as much as I loved every bit of writing it.