Chapter 1

University, the place where everything starts. I don't know if i am ready to leave everything behind. What will happen to my friends? What will happen to my family? Am i ready to make a new start? Is this what i really need? After what happened this last year i know that i need to get away but I never thought that i would leave my home. The place where i feel safe. I have everything i want yet I don't feel completely happy, my life may not be the best but it is okay. I mean, my mother and I are really close, we've been through so much these past few years but i am grateful to have her. My friends are amazing and i got into the university of my dreams.
  "Riley your ride is here, you're going to be late" my mom's voice echoed in the hallway as i put my backpack on and picked up my bag. Why is it so heavy? I don't even have so many clothes. "Don't forget your notebook, you left it in my room last night" she shouted from the kitchen. I went to her room and put it in my backpack, I'm lucky that i didn't leave it here. I can't live without it.
"I'll call you tonight, I'm ready to go" am i really? She looked at me and a smile appeared on her lips. It's time to go. Today is the day my life changes.
  "This is your year Riley, i know it. We'll talk later" she gave me a hug and then i went outside. I got into the taxi and told the driver where I wanted to go. This is a big step, i should be excited. I'm not in high school anymore, i can be whoever i want to be.
  It was a 3-hour-drive that i enjoyed. I listened to music, read a book and talked myself into looking at the bright side. To be honest i am scared but nothing can stop me. This is my world now, this is where i belong.
  I'd better go find my room, this place is huge.While i was walking down the hallway i saw a girl crying, she was alone so i decided to go and talk to her. I think she is a freshman too. She has long brown hair and hazel eyes. She is the same height as me and she is wearing a green top and blue jeans.
"Are you okay? Can i help you?" tears were streaming down her face and she looked sad. Something definitely happened before i got here.
  "No" her voice was sweet. She looked at me and wiped the tears from her eyes. But the sadness wasn't gone.
  "Did something happen?" I asked. I don't want to push her but i really want to help her. I am doing the right thing. My grandma always told me to be kind, she was an amazing person and i owe a lot to her too.
  "My boyfriend broke up with me an hour ago. We were together for three years and i didn't expect him to do something like that. I thought we were fine" she tried to hold back her tears. I know how it feels, to love someone who doesn't love you as much as you do.
  "I'm sorry about that. Sometimes things don't go as we want them to, but maybe that's a good thing. You never know what the future has in store for you" i smiled and i saw her face change. Hope, that's what keeps us alive.
  "I know, i just wasn't ready for him to leave me but I'll get over it"
  "I'm Riley by the way" i told her. Thank god i met someone, i didn't want to be alone.
"My name is Maddie, nice to meet you" we shook hands and laughed. A minute ago she was crying and now we are laughing together.
  "Do you happen to know where i can find my room, it's B-87" her face lit up and she started clapping her hands.
  "Omg! Mine is B-86. I can take you there" so we talked for a couple of minutes untill we found my room.
  It's nothing like what I've imagined. It's bigger, with bright colours and a comfortable bed.
  "Wow, you're lucky girl" i laughed. I agree with her. I'm Indeed lucky.
  "I know, i wanted to ask you something. What's your major?"
  "Music. My friends from back home and i have a thing for music so we all came here to study what we love" nice.
  "That's great, my major is English" she nodded and smiled.
  "Do you wanna hang out with my friends and i tonight?" Should i? I'm not good at meeting new people.
  "Are you sure that they'll be okay with that?"
"Of course, don't worry. So what do you say?" It's my chance to socialize.
  "Alright I'll come"
"Great, see you tonight" she left. It's time to unpack...
  I lost track of time. It's seven already and i am not ready. I don't even know what to wear. I'll definitely leave my hair as it is but i think I'm going to wear my favourite green day t-shirt and shorts. You can't go wrong with those.