AUTHOR'S NOTE

I hate war! I served in the United States military from 1999-2006 and I served in the Persian Gulf during Operation Iraqi Freedom.  I have a college degree in secondary education, which I majored in social studies and minored in history. I have experienced war and I have studied war, so my eyes and mind have both learnt what war is. War is disastrous to individual human lives and can annihilate entire civilizations, while at the same time war can bring out immense creativity, productivity, intelligence, and bravery from lone peasants and foot soldiers all the ways up to court surrounded kings and queens. Hitler believed war was designed to bring out the violent savageness of humanity and to utilize war for his own personal selfish, political, genetic, and cultural goals. Patton believed war was designed to bring out the honor based nobleness of humanity and gave society proud warrior servants, who exercised courage, selflessness, and sacrifice in the name of others. They were both correct, war is both destructive and constructive, war destroys and creates, war can turn humans into blood thirsty animals and can turn humans into fearless valorous heroes. To understand war is to understand ourselves. Freidrich Nietzsche said that man is a bridge between an animal and a higher level being, which explains man's contradictory behavior to kill life and to preserve life at the same time, that is war, to demolish and exterminate life, while at the same moment to serve and protect life. From the battles of Thymbra, Kalinga, and Cannae to the sieges of Constantinople, Tenochtitlan, and Ostend to the high tech confrontations at Verdun-The Somme, Stalingrad-Kursk, and Hiroshima-Nagasaki, man's destructive side became more deadly than ever. Since the end of the Second World War, humanity has continued to wage war and has continued to perfect the killing rate of war. Today, with nuclear and biochemical weapons, a Third World War could wipe out most of the human race within less than an hour! Humanity can now destroy itself with the push of a button and I believe if humanity can survive from itself on Earth, then humanity will continue to war in the stars, yes, man's star wars will spread throughout the cosmos. Five hundred years from now, humans will battle among the stars and war will continue to be needed as is air and water. Neitzsche also said that man was the cruelest of all animals and hopefully he will be when he confronts the alien animals waiting for us throughout the galaxy. 

                                                                                                                                         Mark Urness                                                                                                                                                                             February 2, 2019                                                                                                                                                                     San Diego, California                                                                                                                                                           USA