Chapter 11

Venus's POV

"We won?" I asked again. Abby stood at my side in the rotunda of the bunker.

"I don't know." I could tell that she herself was having trouble hiding her hope and joy at the possibility. Abby looked past me and to the small office off to the side. "Let's find out." I followed her to and through the office doors, closing it behind us.

Inside the office, Bellamy, Clarke, Jaha, and Apollon stood around a desk, a heated discussion appearing to have been going on when we walked in.

"I was setting up the infirmary," Abby began, "and I heard people in the corridor. Is it over?" No answer. "Did we win?" Still nothing. The group around us merely watching Abby, a look of sorrow on their faces. "Where's Marcus?"

I looked around the room and my heart dropped as I noticed he wasn't there. My heart dropped so hard and so fast, I could feel it hit dive into my abdomen, hitting hard. But, then again, he could be in a different part of the bunker, right? I mean, the bunker was pretty big...

Clarke and Jaha exchanged glances before Jaha spoke. "He was in the tower. We sent some people for him, Bellamy, and Octavia. Bellamy was the only one we could get in time. I'm sorry." Jaha looked from Abby, to me, and back to Abby, extending the apology to both of us. I felt the smile quickly fall from my face.

"Then send someone else. There-There's still time, isn't there? The death wave hasn't hit yet, right?" I felt helpless and stranded, almost as if I was on some distant island with no way of getting back. No one responded, and I looked over to Apollon for help. "Send someone else!"

"Venus, the door is closed." Apollon reached out to take me in his arms, but I stepped out of his reach. "No..." I looked back at Abby. I had noticed how she and my father had grown closer, surely she wanted him down here with us as much as I did.

"Give me your radio. Marcus has his." Abby's voice remained level, even when mine croaked with worry.

Jaha shook his head. "The walkies are no good down here." No... I felt my heart hit in my abdomen again, harder this time.

From the other side of the desk, Clarke seemed to press a button that caused the top of the desk to transform, screens emerging from their resting place beneath its top. "I'm letting them say good-bye."

Abby quickly made her way to behind the desk, and I followed close behind her before Jaha stepped in front of us, blocking our path.

"I understand your need to know, but I promise you there is nothing but more pain on the other side of that radio." He looked only at Abby as he spoke. "The radiation levels have become critical, so people outside are already feeling the effects." I blinked my tears back, not wanting to imagine what that meant for my father.

"I understand. Now, get the hell out of my way." Abby squeezed past Jaha and to where the radio controls were at the desk, Bellamy bending over and helping her with them.

After a bit of static, Octavia's voice came through the radio. She won. She actually won...

"When I won, I decided to share the bunker with everyone. A hundred from each clan. Kane is out there buying us time." Dad. "If anybody finds out that Skaikru stole the bunker, we're all dead."

I looked over to the door of the office as three more members of the guard stepped in. Jaha had brought them in. I could feel my heart beating faster and faster. This can't be happening. My heart dove into my stomach again. "Turn off the radio."

"Thelonius," Abby spoke up. "We can save them."

"I am opening that door." Bellamy started to walk out from behind the desk.