Character Tips

Now, I am no expert on characters. But I think I know enough to give some advice to help others improve their characters. Enjoy~

•Let your characters screw up•

I dunno how many times I see it not happen, but characters screwing up is always a good thing for you and your character. You can learn new things on how to write certain things. And your character just might change somehow. It doesn't matter the age, personality, species, anything. Just please, let them fuck up.

Letting them do so is also a good exercise, especially if you're role playing. The others character might change as well, which can help both of you. Role playing is also just a great way to have fun and get to know your characters.

•Always have something prepared for a character•

Now, not all of you might not understand what I mean by this. This might be more understandable for us writers/authors.

If you just go along and write something down and post it on the platform, or anywhere, you just might have some luck. Writing about your character and preparing events for the future of them is good, especially for the character. Using prepared scenes and plot ideas not only helps the character, but you. Again, you just might be able to learn how to write new scenarios and have more emotion.

This could be difficult for some, however. Especially people who are just being introduced to the writer community. I did struggle with this, which might also explain why in OIABM and The Monster Inside, I couldn't seem to update them as frequently as I needed and wanted to.

Get to know your character•

Characters are fictional. But, to make them feel like they belong in the said universe that they are, always use them. Especially if you write a story.

Again, a good exercise is to role play. Maybe do a group one. Your character can be free if you guys just do whatever, and you could put them in different situations.

Also, just maybe go to Pinterest or something and search up character questions. Posts will come up and have questions that you can answer for your character. That has helped me a lot.

Do not be afraid to ask for opinions•

This part is specifically for people who are new to creating characters. People who are experienced can for sure help you develop your characters and writing skills.

Never be afraid to ask for criticism either. Again, people can help you. Especially if you're not afraid to ask.

~~~

I hope that helped. If y'all ever need to ask questions, DM me. :)