Ch. 9 It was time for bed

Once we got there and showered, brushed our teeth, changed, and got into our sleeping bags, it was time for highs and lows (I had to work hard to keep awake for that).  Finally, TJ and Alec came in followed by Alex, Andy, and Joey.  

"Okay," Alec started us off with the usual twinkle in his eye, "Who wants to start us off for highs and lows?" We started with Alex and went around the circle, my high was getting to meet everybody, there was no low, and my God Moment was tonight's talk.  After Jack took his turn and Andy prayed us out, it was time for lights-out.  

TJ and Alec stood up with Alex, Andy, and Joey to leave for their rooms; TJ stopped to turn off the light, "Alright, get some good rest guys.  We got another big day tomorrow.  Goodnight!" "Goodnight!" we answered.  

After a few minutes, I felt like I could just fall asleep once my head hit the pillow, but I couldn't.  It didn't feel the same without Danny, it looked like I was really gonna have to get used to this.  I was incredibly homesick. Tears were starting to fall on my face and I tried hard to quiet myself.  

I suddenly felt a sudden touch on my shoulder, I turned and saw Jack standing over me with a comforting smile, "It's gonna be alright." He wiped my face and ran his fingers through my hair, "You're really brave to come here, everything will be just fine."  He gave me one last pat on the chest and went back up to his bunk on top.  I never thought the others would show me so much compassion; and I was soon in a deep sleep.