Chapter 1

The shed was awfully cold, chilling me right to the core. It was a dim afternoon, and the sun was hiding behind its fluffy white friends. He was shy today, for sure. Usually he was a bright fellow.

It was a hideout for Celine and I. A safe haven for the lost ones. To summarize that, it was a club.

"Have you seen it?" Celine asked out of nowhere.

"Seen what?" I replied, chewing a hangnail off my finger.

"The news. They said there's been a lot of happenings in New York...paranormal stuff."

"C'mon, Celine. I ain't no skeptic, but the news just copies off the real stuff. Could just be simple nature. You never know."

"Devon, it's true. They're saying that there's been this...repeating hologram of a dude jumping off the empire state building." Celine said, showing me an article on her phone.

I sighed. "Okay. I'll check this out for myself." I grabbed my phone from off the small coffee table in front of the two bean bags we were sitting on. The Channel 5 app was a tap away on my homescreen.

"Reenactments of the suicide of a worker in 1920s clothing leaves viewers baffled..." I paused, studying the headline in front of me.

Celine nodded. "Go on. Read it."

I cleared my throat and resumed my reading. "Tourists admiring the Empire State Building are terrified as a ghostly suicide repeats, as if holographic. The man was said to be about 29 years of age and had a short and slim build. We are looking into this mystery until it ceases."

"See? I told you, Devon," Celine said, smiling and heaving herself up from her bean bag chair. "It's almost nighttime. Let's go home."