Story 3: City Lights

The city was quiet as I watched her lean on the balcony railing. She was talking about the pretty lights and pointing at the different things that caught her eye. I didn't say much in reply as I was hypnotized by her beauty.

A breeze swept past us, causing the skirt of her dress to flutter. The night really was perfect.

"Madeline," I murmured as I came up behind her and hugged her slim waist. "I have something for you... but first I must ask you a question."

She turned to me in question and watched as I knelt on one knee.

"Madeline.." I began softly as I pulled the blue velvet box from my pocket.

She gasped and clasped a hand over her mouth.

"This long distance has been rough and trying.." I continued as I gazed into her eyes. "But we've survived it all. Hand in hand, you and I can get through anything. I know you're the one. And living so far from you and not being able to hold you and kiss you everyday has made me all the more certain that you are the one I cannot live without. You are the one my heart beats for. I'll be moving to Las Angeles in six months.." I went on to explain how she had changed me for the better and how she made my world so bright. I expressed my love and how she was the most beautiful and perfect woman I had ever met. "...Madeline Cooper, will you marry me?" My heart was pounding and I held my breath.

Madeline was in tears as she began to nod her head.

"Yes..." she sobbed. "Yes, Davede, I will."

I stood and took the ring in my shaking hands and slipped it on to her finger.

"We'll have to get that sized," I mentioned as she briefly admired the ring.

Then, I pulled her close and we shared the most passionate kiss as the clock in the city declared it was midnight.