Story 4: A world Apart

I sat on my bed with my laptop, waiting for Michael to answer the video call.

"Hey baby," Michael greeted as he saw my face.

"Hey babe." I gave him a soft smile but my gaze fell to my hands in my lap.

"Is everything okay hun?" Michael inquired.

I looked back up at him and saw the concern in his big green eyes. I took a deep breath and forced the best fake smile I could.

"Of course. I have you, don't I?" I then blew him a kiss.

He pretended to catch the kiss and then he leaned over and picked something up from his desk. He then readjusted himself in his seat and lifted the item so I could see it. It was the fluffy stuffed sheep I had sent him when we first began talking two years ago.

"Sheep says hello." Michael held the sheep up to the computer and I heard him chuckle.

"Hello, Sheep," I murmured through a weak smile.

"Penny, what's wrong?" Michael demanded gently as he set the sheep down.

There was a moment of silence as I swallowed hard and willed myself not to cry.

"I..." drawing a shaky breath, I glanced up at the ceiling as tears filled my eyes.

"Hey..." Michael cooed softly. "It's okay," he assured.

"I just.." I took another deep breath and finally spit it out. "I miss you," I squeaked.

"Eight more weeks and you'll be coming to Australia. It will be okay baby, I promise."

I sniffed and wiped my eyes and nodded.

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

"You never have to apologize for crying baby." Michael gave me a warm smile.

For the next two hours, Michael tried his best to make the distance fade from my mind. He was successful, as usual.

The distance was so much harder than I had thought it would be. I longed for a hug from him. I'd give anything to be with him, even just for an hour.