Intervention

Startled awake, Kayler looked around disoriented. Seeing nothing, she burrowed further into her sheets only to be startled again by loud banging.

"Kayler! I know you are in there! Open up!" was yelled in between banging.

"Go 'way" Kayler mumbled covering her head up. All the noise was giving her a headache.

"Kay', if you don't open up the door now, I am going to knock it down, you know I will." Alexis threatened and Kayler finally gave up and pushed the covers down with an explosive sigh. She stomped to the door dressed in shorts and a baggy shirt and threw it open with an annoyed glower.

"What do you want" She asked ready to chew her out. But her bad mood didn't seem to affect her sister much because she just raised an eyebrow.

"It is long past noon. We need talk."

Kayler crossed her arms, her glower not lessening. "Talk"

"Get dressed first, and come down we will talk over tea, or coffee, or maybe a late lunch. Hurry up"

Groaning Kayler shut the door and headed to the shower. It had been three months since their parents had decided their children were too much of a burden and left. Since, Kayler had gone through a short period of numbness, it was over the morning after, then anger that she had spent on every physical activity she could find in the empty house; swimming, running, punching a sandbox, running again, swimming again, running some more, and when nothing worked she cried herself to sleep, her choked sobs reverberating against the walls of her room. But that too had passed after two months leaving her with an all-consuming grief. Grief that kept her awake most nights and shocked her awake with nightmares on others.

Alexis had tried to spend the week-ends with her, but after a month she was moved to Burkina Faso for her work and only came back once every month. She worked for a humanitarian organization as an agricultural consultant, which created a rift between her and their father who wanted her to succeed him in the company. She had been home for three days and had made her displeasure at how 'withdrawn' Kayler had become quite clear. Not that Kayler had become withdrawn. It was summer so it was perfectly normal that she did not go out much. For this summer Kayler and her father had planned to go hiking for three weeks and then she was supposed to go to Hawaii with her mother. But those plans had crashed and burnt the moment her parents had walked out the door. Not that they lived much with them to begin with. Also, Kayler had no friend to spend time with, so of course she spent time at home alone with not even a pet because her parents refused to have an animal in their house, no matter how cute and cuddly it was.

Getting out of the bathroom she put on a blue jogging and a white sweatshirt and held her raven hair up with a rubber band before making her way downstairs. Alexis was lounging in the living room with an apple in her hand.

"I am down" Kayler said drawing her attention to her as she joined her plonking into an armchair facing her.

Alexis said nothing choosing instead to see the teen, taking in her features which Kayler knew looked awful, she had checked in the glass earlier.

"Can you tell me why you woke me up? I went to bed late, I am not sure I even had five hours of sleep" Kayler yawned to emphasise her point at which point Alexis' eyes took on a decisive glint and she was sure she was not going to like what her sister had to say.

"I know that our parents leaving was hard on you and I thought that with time you would gather your bearings and move on with your life, but it has been three months since then and it's just getting worse. You have become withdrawn, you don't want to go to college, and you spend your days in this house alone only interacting with the staff who comes here every Tuesday and Friday to cook and take care of the house." She started, giving Kayler the same lecture she had already given her at least thrice since she stepped into the house and Kayler rolled her eyes.