Chapter 13

"Let's just give Sean some time alone. He's been hurt." I stated with a sad expression.

Jake looked down at his feet, his face filled with pain and regret, "I wish I can reverse time and change everything."

Don't we all... if I could, I would try my best to convince my father to not leave or at least take me with him.

I looked at him and sighed. "I'm sure you do."

Meredith came back to the living room and asked, "Where's Sean?"

"He went to his room to blow off some steam." I replied quickly.

Meredith looked sad for a split second before she plastered a tiny smile on her face. "Oh... okay. Well dinner is ready. You two come on in and take a seat at the table. I'll just fix Sean a plate for later."

We walked into the dining room where the rest of the family were sitting.

Stanley was quietly reading his book in his usual spot at the table. Lucy was goofing off with Dr. Smith by making funny faces to each other. Every time Dr. Smith made a ridiculous face, she would start erupting into giggles.

I couldn't help but smile and laugh along with that.

I sat next to in my usual spot, next to Lucy. Jake sat next to Sean's empty seat, which was right across from me.

"Wow, mom, all of this food looks so amazing. I missed your home cooked meals so much!" Jake exclaimed excitedly with a hint of nostalgia on his face, while looking around the table filled with many dishes of delicious-smelling food.

"Your mother made your favorite, her famous baked lasagna." Dr. Smith pointed at the lasagna dish. Meredith cut up and scooped a big piece on Jake's plate.

"Mmm... looks and smells just like how I remembered it." Jake showed off his famous brilliant smile that would make all teenage girls swoon over.

Not going to lie... my heart sped up a bit faster. 'Oh gosh Ariana, get a grip!'

Jake turned to look at me. "So the mysterious Ariana from my English class, what brings you here?"

"Well, I was placed on foster care since I'm not 18 yet and I needed a place to stay due to some... personal reasons." I gulped nervously, not wanting to bring up any unnecessary memories.

I continued, "Meredith and Dr. Smith graciously accepted me into their home and I'm super grateful for that." I directed a smile towards at Meredith and Dr. Smith.

Meredith sat down at her spot at the table and smiled at me. "Of course, we are thankful you are in our lives now."

That brought a warm feeling in me because I finally feel accepted and safe.

We started digging in to all of the plates of food. I piled on the chicken, lasagna, and mashed potatoes.

"So Jake, where are you staying?" Dr. Smith asked pointedly.

Jake swallowed the bite of lasagna and replied, "I have a house in the next town over, which I share with a few members of my management team."

"How come you chose to come back to school here?"

"I felt like it was time to come back home. I know I did some bad and unforgiving things in the past, which is why it took me awhile to contact you guys after I moved back to this state. But I really missed home and my family. I'm so sorry. I hope you guys can forgive me and the hurtful things I did." Jake said solemnly, picking at his plate.

"Oh honey, we're just glad you're safe and you're back home." Meredith reached over to grab his hand.

We all ate our food and chatted about our week. Jake told us some funny stories and was catching up with his parents, but was careful not to speak about certain sensitive topics. We ate and talked for nearly 3 hours.