4. F*cking Mr. Collinses

Monday came too quickly for my liking. I had classes and plenty of studying to occupy my time until the evening came, but it still didn't keep my mind from dwelling on the impending doom. I was worried for a lot of reasons, and couldn't exactly pinpoint which was the worst.

Rylan had been pleasant during our meeting, and he even cracked a joke or two. And I'd laughed. He'd even smiled.

He had dimples.

"Fuck this," I grab my things and exit my Jeep, determined to not be in an enclosed space with my errant brain at the moment. I cross the street and head into the science building, making my way up to the third floor where Mo's lab was. There was another lab going on across the hallway, and I didn't notice Rylan inside yet, so I decided to hang out in the little lounge area. The science building was laid out like a giant rectangle, the perimeters being hallways, entrances to labs and classrooms, and offices. In two corners, there were typically lounge areas. One corner of the building was shaped like a circle jutting out from the typical square corner. That's where the round seating area could be found on the first, second, and third floors. There was a table in the middle of the circle, generally, and then the giant semicircular couch that was actually carpet covered cement. Deceivingly uncomfortable. I'd grown used to the back pain by now.

I pull out a book and start to read, knowing there was no way I'd be able to concentrate to do anything productive.

I'm well into Mr. Collins' particularly disgusting personality when I hear my name.

"Oh, hi," I offer a smile. "Mitchell."

"Hey," he smiles, sitting down a couple feet from me. I feel particularly awkward and uncomfortable sitting with my feet propped up on the edge of the cement couch, so I place them back on the floor and sit up. "Reading?"

"Passing the time," I shrug. "You have a lab?"

"Yeah, in like half an hour. It's taught by Mo, even though I don't have him for lecture," he explains and I freeze. "The TA teaches it."

Fuck.

"Oh, yeah, um... Rylan Augustine. I... I'm actually going to be there today, too."

"You're in that lab?" He asks, confused.

"No, I'm... I'm going to be a TA for Mo, and he's letting Augustine show me a little so I'll have a better hang of things."

"Oh, wow," he raises his eyebrows. "Mo is notoriously picky. You must be like crazy smart."

"I just like chemistry." I feel my cheeks heat.

"And math? I saw that stuff you were working on last week... it looks like Latin."

"A lot of it is," I chuckle. "It's fun, though."

"You must like the classics, though, too," he gestures to my book, then reaches over to turn the cover towards him. His body moves closer to mine as it does, and his arm brushes mine while his fingers linger along mine. I'm immediately uncomfortable. "Austen?"

"Um, yeah," I begin to panic, trying to move the book over so he can see it and not be so close, but he remains, leaning in to me. "Actually, I should—"

"Stevie?"

It's an eerily familiar voice, and I actually do sigh in relief. I see Rylan walking down the hallway, arching an eyebrow at me.

"Coming!" I squeak way too eagerly.

I dart up off the carpeted cement.

"I've gotta go," I mutter as an excuse, grabbing my things quickly.