Chapter 1 - It Begins

Fate POV

I arrived at the tall steel gates. Strong cold chilling wind surrounded me, causing my long black hair to lash out around me. I could tell those horrid beasts were in there. I glared at my new home. Cross Academy. I slowly walked into hell just waiting for the beasts to jump out and grab me but I could tell they weren't around. Damn... I wanted a fight... I'm in a bad mood anyway... I walked towards the headmaster's office carrying my luggage along behind me. I came to the door. I could tell he was in there. I knocked on the door and waited for the ok.

"Come in" said a way too cheerful voice. I came in and closed the door behind. "Ahh... Fate-chan... Please" he struggled cheerfully, gesturing towards a chair in front of the desk he was sitting in. I let out a small dry laugh and sat down in the chair.

"You don't have to awkwardly call me Fate while were alone" I smiled "Just call me Three when no one else is around, One."

"Right, now welcome to Cross Academy, Three-chan" he cheered. My face turned serious.

"One..." His face turned serious also "Why am I here? What does your disgusting dream have to do with me?" I was almost yelling now. So much for keeping my cool, but he knew I hated them so why did he bring me here? My hands balled up into fists, they were shaking furiously.

"Three..." he said calmly as if worried how I would react "I... I believe that even if you don't realise it you are meant to be here..."

"It's because of the number hunting isn't it?" I interrupted. He looked at me straight faced but he couldn't trick me and he knew it. He sighed.

"Partly" There had been something hunting the numbers of the hunter association. The numbers were the elite hunters of the association. Listed from 1 to 9 for just how powerful they really were. Numbers 7 and 8 were killed a while ago at different times... but for a number to be killed is something big. No one ever goes after numbers and a number rarely dies in a fight, let alone two. That was how we knew they were after us, whoever they were.

"So you think I can't handle myself? Is that it?" I knew he was just looking out for me since I was the youngest member of the numbers. 16 years old, even though I became a number when I was 13. A normal girl would be in school but I'm anything but normal. I think One saw his adoptive children in me and that's why he's always so protective.

"No it's not like that Three-" he quickly defended himself.

"I know, I'm sorry" I said sighing, my temper calming "I over reacted, you have been nothing but helpful to me" He smiled.

"I knew you'd see it my way!" he cheered, launching towards me with a hug. I quickly got out of the way as he landed flat on his face. He began crying and I swear if someone hadn't come in with my uniform he would had a pool in his office in a few minutes. I took the uniform and looked at it closely.

"I have to wear this?" I say slowly. I was so not used to wearing a uniform. Let alone something so...

"Yes! Isn't it cute!" One squealed "the night class have one just like it!" I looked at him dully. But his hopefully smile never left his face as we had our stare down.

"Fine! I'll wear it" he pretty much started dancing around the room. "But!" he stopped and turned to face me. "No pictures. I don't want to ruin my reputation" He smiled at this an only nodded, before he continued his dancing. I went into the washroom and quickly changed and slipped my Perfect band on as well. If I was going to be staying here keeping my eyes on the vermin. I was about to re-enter the room when I sensed two others inside.

"A new student? A Prefect?" a small voice asked. It rang with a hint of confusion. I heard a low growl and the banging of hands on a desk.

"Are you kidding me?! After all this time of me asking for a new Prefect, now you choose to get another one?! What about the pass couple of years?! Do they even know what's going on around here with those filthy bloodsuckers?!" an enraged voice rang out. I managed to stop myself from laughing. I slowly, quietly opened to door and stepped in inside closing the door behind me.