Chapter 4 - A Hunter's Job

Yuki almost skipped down the town's streets as Zero and I followed behind her. Ok, maybe we were more being dragged. We'd been sent out on an errand by the Chairman out in town. And in the end, Zero and I had ended up carrying everything. I glanced over to a store, that t-shirt... I glanced back at the boy next to me. I walked over the examined the t-shirt.

"Oh! Fate!" she used my name finally! "That would look great on Zero! Nice find!" she exclaimed, smiling brightly. I looked away from both of them, hiding my suddenly red cheeks. What's... what's wrong with me?! I- I almost feel... normal?!

-Zero's POV-

"What's wrong, Fate?" Yuki asked her voice full of concern, as she compared the length of the sleeve of the t-shirt to my arm. She had suddenly turned away before after finding the t-shirt. In seconds she turned around. She had a bright wide smile on her face and a slight blush on her cheeks. The smile was real, her first real smile since arriving at Cross Academy. There was no pain hidden in her eyes. She was honestly happy. She was no longer faking.

"Nothing! I'm fine!" she smiled and began helping Yuki with the t-shirt. It continued like this for the rest of the day out, a smile with no hidden sadness. What had caused that pain? Since I had tasted her blood it had been bugging me, what was she? Her blood tasted both human and vampire. It made no sense. But I put those thoughts aside as we continued through the day.

-Fate POV-

"Zero, you should eat something. Just take it from me for helping me carry everything" Yuki said, as we sat down in a local coffee shop. I'd already began eating. What the stuff was good! And I haven't had ice-cream in years.

"I want to eat salted noodles..." Zero said with his usual no emotion. He couldn't have said that earlier!

"Well, if you had mentioned something earlier then we could have had some! So just eat!" I exclaimed and pushed a spoonful of ice-cream into his mouth. After shooting me a glare and me smirking back, Yuki and Zero began a conversation about her not being able to walk by herself alone in town because of a vampire attack years ago.

"Aww... that so cute, Yuki!" I teased with a laugh.

"Zero and Fate are too cunning! For a long time you both have known about my past, even though I don't know how Fate found out" I shrugged at her words and froze slightly at her next ones "But I still don't know anything about both your pasts... nor how many siblings you have, where you went to school..."

"I had a younger brother... he died... on that day" Zero stated and the atmosphere went heavy. My face saddened as I thought about my own past. There is a reason you don't know Yuki... Then we were interrupted.

"Sorry to interrupt, may I know if you are Night class students?" a waitress said with a blush on her face towards Zero and I, completely ignoring Yuki. "I'm right, right?! No wonder you both seem different from other people! As expected, people from the Night class are special. Do you know Aidouu? He loves to eat sweet things, sometimes he'd come here... please, tell him that he would be welcomed back again..." Zero and I both began leaving the coffee shop, the emotionless face I usually showed returning.

"I'll go out first" Zero stated before we left. We arrived outside, and we both smelt him; a vampire. We bolted in different directions, spreading out to find him. When I'd arrived Zero was already there dealing with him. But Yuki was also there. He... he just asked it a question... he hesitated...

I had noticed their aura across from me earlier but tried to ignore them. Two night class aristocrats had jumped down from the roof across from me and cut the vampire down. They were the only reason I didn't cut the thing down myself. I needed to see what they'd do. They must be under his orders, but why?