Keeping Up Appearances

Betsan

The early start is useful in that it allows me to get things done. By 9am the house is spotlessly clean, there is washing on the line and I am heading out the door, on my way to an interview. I don't normally agree to these sorts of things but, unfortunately, the need for the services I provide is ever growing.

When I started out, many moons ago, nobody liked to discuss what I did. My name was whispered in secret to those unlucky enough to need me. Times have changed and these days my work is seen as heroic, not that I have ever felt like a hero. I do what I love and I love what I do. There is nothing more to it than that. Of course, these days there is a lot more help available and I am no longer the only chance for those who have slipped through societies net. There are schemes in place, funding available and a number of options which help approximately 97% of people. The other 3% come to me. So while I may no longer be the only chance of help these people have, I am the last chance.

Today's interview is to celebrate the start of a new initiative, something unique, which I hope will benefit many people for years to come. It is something I have wanted to do for a long time but never thought I would achieve that is, until I was talked into making the service into a charity. 'Forever Hope' has received a number of donations and even a bit of funding so the dream is able to become a reality.

Arriving at my destination I slow to a stop before a barrier. The security guard on duty ticks my name off a list before allowing me through. After parking my car I realise I am a little early for the interview so I decide to make some phone calls. The first is to confirm that this afternoon's meeting is still taking place.

'Hello, Its Betsan here,' I say when the call is answered, 'yes, I was just calling to make sure everything is ok? Oh, you are on your way, good. Everything going all right so far - no complications? Ah, I see, a fan. No, that will not be a problem. I shall see you both later. Bye now.'

The second call does not go so well, I dial the number multiple times but don't even get the answer machine. 'How strange,' I say to myself while making a mental note to try again later. Stepping out of the car I try to ease me nerves my saying, with more confidence that I feel, 'let's get this show on the road.'