Chapter 6: To the Shadowhaunt

Infirmary - Morning - 20th September 2005

After having woken up once again from her nightmares, Aisha knew sleep would not come easily, so she wiped the strands stuck to her sweat-ridden forehead and started at the ceiling. Her mind wandered off to her experience back at the Shadowhaunt.

She felt cracks on her skin, and despite knowing the truth, Aisha feared to find something that she knew wasn't there. Her hand hovered over her face, but she managed to work up the courage and touched her face. It's smooth.

When she first saw her face in the mirror, she was shocked to find her face clear of injuries. She asked Ofelia about it, but apparently, the morphix fairy never had such wounds. She had other wounds, other than the stab through her shoulder, there was extensive spinal fracture on her lower back, a crushed skull, and numerous broken bones, which were all magnificently healed. However, the burns themselves never existed even though she can still feel the fracturing of her skin. 

Ofelia told her it might be psychogenic - the brain can cause pain when there is no physical source. The information brought her no comfort as Aisha found that she could no longer look at her reflection. Every attempt had her filled with dread or violent nausea. 

As Ofelia listed her injuries, she could tell that there was something the nurse was hiding, and with much poking and prodding from Aisha, Ofelia finally revealed the disconcerting truth; Aisha died.

Ofelia believed that Aisha died upon impact with the water and was promptly brought back to life by the remnant of the holy spirit, but honestly, it didn't feel like she died more like conking out after tripping on an uneven sidewalk and that's terrifying. 

Is that what death feels like?

Aisha has heard the many ways people react as they are dying, but Aisha feels nothing. Did she even die? Maybe Ofelia got it wrong. A misdiagnosis is not uncommon, after all. But Aisha knew the truth. She died. That monster murdered her after stealing the pixies away from her.

Aisha brought her knees to her chest and hugged them tight. She knows first hand what that guy is capable of, yet she didn't stop the other girls from fervently trying to argue how they can rescue the pixies. Heck, she even volunteered to go back. What's wrong with her?

At least Kaneki had the decency to assist Faragonda and knock some sense into their heads even if some of the others refused to acknowledge his help. She should listen to Faragonda. She's not abandoning her friends. She's just leaving the rescue to the appropriate authorities. 

There's no shame in leaving this to the professionals... except that she doesn't know how long it would take them to rescue the pixies. They need to formulate a good plan, recruit enough soldiers, get appropriate gear/weaponry, and navigate through the numerous and confusing cave tunnels to reach Shadowhaunt. All of which sounds time-consuming.

Would the pixies be alright by then?

Aisha hugged her knees tighter, wondering what the right course of action would be. Should she allow Faragonda to take action even though it'd take time, or should she be proactive and rescue the pixies with those other girls despite the risk the mission would bring to their lives?

This is all so complicated. 

A small yawn caught Aisha's attention. She lifted her head from her knees and saw Piff flying about in her sleep!

Aisha leapt out of bed and grabbed Piff, taking care, not squishing her in her haste, and bringing her close. Piff yawns and stretches quite adorably before turning onto her side and sucking on her thumb. Really, now. Aisha shook her head in exasperation, Piff's constant sleep flying was shaving years off her life, but at least, it got her out of her funk about the whole situation.