Submission

I let out a sigh of relief as I lower my exhausted body into the warm tub of water. I'm only allowed to take a bath once a week, and it's one of the few things I really look forward to. It gives me time to think, to escape from all of my troubles. I stare down into the tub as blood begins to dance through the water. I shudder as I watch the water grow redder and redder as my cuts bleed out. As morbid as it sounds, I used to like blood as a child. It fascinated me because it symbolized life. It wasn't until I was ten that the mere sight of it began to fill me with an uneasiness like that of no other. Blood soon began to resemble suffering and pain rather than something as sacred as life.

I'm startled by the flood of light when the bathroom door is pushed open. Mom stands over the counter, her long blonde hair hanging in front of her face as she rummages through a floral printed cosmetic bag. I watch her indigo eyes fill with concern as she kneels before the tub and takes my macerated hand in hers and begins to gently rub numbing ointment onto my stinging wounds.

" He seemed like such a good man in the beginning. I could've sworn he was the one. I guess I made a mistake though. I'm just sorry my mistake has to affect you." She stifles a sob as she says the last part. " Scarlett, I love you so much. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. It tears me apart when I see him treat you the way he does."

"Mom, It's not your fault. Never let yourself believe that. His cruelty will never diminish my love for you." I say this between clenched teeth, angry that someone as kind as my mother would blame herself for something so barbaric.

" Scarlett, I just need you to promise me that you"ll----"

A loud bang reverberates through the room as dad throws the door open.

" WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN HERE?!!! YOU TWO NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP SO I CAN GET SOME SLEEP! NOTHING EITHER OF YOU TWO SAY TO EACHOTHER IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ME GETTING MY WELL NEEDED REST!"

In a drunken stagger, Dad walks over to mom and shoves her face into the tub of water, refusing to let her up for air. She flails her arms frantically, but slowly begins to give up as the lack of air sets in. I can't bear watching. Dad's going for the kill. I jump up from the side of the tub and shove dad back with all the strength a I can muster. I quickly pull mom's head up from the murky water as dad, drunk as he is, struggles to get back onto his feet. Mom gasps for air as I drag her into the hallway and begins sobbing as soon as she snaps back into reality. Relief washes over me, but before I can get too excited dad is back on his feet. This time he isn't going after mom, but me. He rages toward me like a bull and knocks me onto the ground. I struggle to get up, but quickly enter into submission after I realize I have nothing against dad's solid 200 pounds. Dad's eyes burn through me, filled with a loathing that makes me regret ever existing. Before I can even react, dad's palm slams into the middle of my face. All I feel is pain as blackness seizes all of my senses and I enter into oblivion.