Eugene

We walked inside the jail. The boy leading me walked inside as if he'd been their his whole life. I didn't want to be left outside or have to fend for myself again so I stuck close behind him. The inside seemed to be almost empty. The lights were on, I guess the power hadn't been taken down yet. The cell doors were all opened. As I took in my new surroundings, the boy continued walking. I hurried to catch up with him.

He led me into a room that looked like it must've been a common room for police before the epidemic. Boxes of uniforms were scattered around the floor. There was a bunch of keys on a desk in the corner. And there were a few small tables and some lockers.

"What are we doing here?" I asked.

"This is our hideout. You should be safe here." He explained.

"Our hideout?" I asked.

"The other guys should be back soon." He answered. "You're ok, right?"

"Wha- um... yeah. I'm fine." I answered.

"Good. Here, wash up you stink." He handed me a wet wash cloth. I wiped the dirt off my arms and face and then put it down.

"Who are you?"

"I'm Eugene. I'm one of the few survivors, that we know of." He responded.

"I'm Grey." I said, extending my hand. But Eugene didn't take it. He just ignored me. This could be rough.

A few minutes passed and all of the sudden a loud crash of a door swinging open filled the silence. I jumped at the sudden noise. Eugene didn't seemed to be bothered by it, it kind of seems like it was something he was expecting.

"It's ok." He said