Chapter 9: You

AGATHOKAKOLOGICAL (n.)

Composed of both good and evil

Rooney was feeling absolutely nothing. Her hearing was off and all she could see were the siren lights coming from the ambulance and police cars, all in a red and blue blur. She knew someone was trying to talk to her but couldn't focus on the voice, she was stuck inside the moment she took Andrew's life.

She felt her heart beating more and more slowly, knowing she would faint at any moment. She felt hands on her shoulders, shaking her and assumed it was another police officer or doctor, until she felt Mackenzie's known smell, bringing her out of her trance.

"Rooney, oh my God, what happened here?" her eyes brimmed with tears and worry.

"I ... I ... he was ... Cate..." Rooney was in shock and couldn't make a sentence that made sense.

Mackenzie hugged her and the little girl screamed in pain.

"What is it?"

Rooney didn't remember of getting hurt, but when she ran her hand down the right side of her waist, her fingers sank into a huge cut, revealing the source of the pain she'd just felt. Rooney remembered the first time Andrew attacked her and she drifted away. Or at least she thought she had.

She looked at her body.

It was covered with so much blood, that she didn't know which one was from her and which was from Cate.

Cate.

She remembered the state that the blonde left and felt her stomach ache, her head spin and her vision failed. She fell into Mackenzie's arms.

Mackenzie grabbed the young girl's head to prevent her from banging it and getting herself injured, then she called a nurse to take Rooney to the ambulance. She followed the car to the hospital but was prevented from continuing when the nurses announced that both women would need surgery, Cate for having several bruises and internal bleeding and Rooney because the knife had hit some organs that needed special attention, and she couldn't enter that area.

She went to the bathroom and wept her tears as she looked in the mirror and thought how good moments could escape from our hands without us even realizing it.

She felt her phone vibrating and she got extremely nervous when she saw the name of Rooney's mother on the screen.

"K-Kathleen?" Mackenzie's voice failed, she felt the nervousness growing already knowing what was about to come.

"What hospital are you? I'm going there immediately" the woman had a firm, dominant voice, but the redhead knew the consequences. The love for Rooney was bigger than the fear of Kathleen

"I won't give you this information, Mrs. McNulty. You know Rooney won't like to see you or any member of the family here when she wakes up" as soon as the words came out of her mouth, she regretted and bite her lip waiting for the answer.

"What do you mean 'when she wakes up'?" She didn't wait for an answer. "No. You know what? If you won't tell me, I'll make it on my own way"

Mackenzie heard the signal warning that the call had ended. She spilled some water on her face, then headed to the cafeteria, bought an espresso and settled into one of the chairs in the waiting room, unaware of when she would be able to see Rooney, and fell asleep with the thought of the proposal that happened only a few hours ago, but it seemed like it had been an eternity.

Rooney heard some muffled voices somewhere, unable to focus on them. She opened her eyes, and took some time to adjust to the light coming through the curtain.