Chapter 7

A/N: Australian slang:

Fruit loop: Fool

Stickybeak: A nosy person

Click: A kilometre

It was still early when Laurel made her way to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee. Being a Saturday morning, she didn't have to rush anywhere and after her talk with Felicity, she'd had a surprisingly good night's sleep. Standing under the soothing spray of a hot shower, she'd decided to follow the other woman's advice and give Slade one last chance to prove that he had some redeeming qualities. Yet despite her resolution, his behaviour toward her the previous night still stung.

She knew she had to face him, but if she was honest with herself, she was delaying the inevitable. She didn't think she had the energy to fight another round. Deep down she knew she enjoyed their verbal skirmishes. What she didn't like was being mistreated when she didn't know why. The only person who could give her any answers couldn't or wouldn't – she wasn't sure which it was.

Standing at the kitchen counter in blue jeans and a red sweater, she took her mug and went to sit on the back porch. It wasn't as chilly as the previous day, but she grabbed a chequered throw on her way out, just in case. She loved the view of the garden and the turquoise water of the Olympic sized pool. It made her feel like she was at some expensive resort as opposed to a friend's home.

In the distance she heard the doorbell ring and was about to get up to see who it was when she heard the murmur of voices. Comfortable that Oliver was seeing to his early guest, she sat back and sipped her hot beverage contentedly.

"Laurel," came the voice that had been haunting her since she'd first heard it.

She whipped around, shocked to her core as she saw Slade standing at the door leading onto the patio. She stood slowly, her heart fluttering in her chest at the sight of him. He looked exhausted, like someone who hadn't slept at all. He hadn't bothered to shave either, because he had at least two days worth of stubble covering the lower part of his cheeks and jaw.

"You look awful-"

"About last night-"

They stared at each other awkwardly for another moment before Laurel noticed Oliver hovering in the background. Slade followed the direction of her gaze and looked at Oliver questioningly.

"Do you mind, mate? Some privacy would be welcome."

Laurel noted Oliver's curiosity. "I'll be in the study."

He walked off and they were completely alone.

"What are you doing here?" she asked softly.

He closed the door leading into the house and walked over to where she stood. He was dressed in black jeans and a black fleecy sweater. In short, he looked gorgeous.

"I was err…worried about you, so I went to your Dad's place-"

Her eyes bulged. "You went to my Dad's place? Are you insane?" Her father lived on the other side of Town. He could have been seen by a dozen different people.

"I wanted to know if you were okay. I know it was a stupid thing to do, but when I got there and you weren't there, I panicked."

She stared at him, not expecting the honesty.

He continued, "I called Oliver and he mentioned that you were here, so I came over."

He was standing in front of her, his hands fidgeting with the zipper on the front of his sweater.