Chapter 19

Art by: PickleHead49 Aj (I don't know their username but this is the name the email gave me)

Today's Radio Station: 90s, 2000s, Today's Hits Radio (this is ONE station just to be clear)

•••••

I was squatting in front of yet another shelf of books, peering at the lowest shelf. The thought passed through me that the books I was looking at were most likely books that didn't get checked out often. Most people would see the books at their eye level, or the ones just above it. Not many people wanted to put effort into crouching down.

As my fingers danced across the spines of numerous books, another thought came to me.

How was whoever was coming to get me going to figure out who I am?

I never told Ken my name or really anything about myself. He didn't know what I looked like and it's not like I was the only person in the library.

Also, how would I know who was coming to get me?

Anyone could come up to me claiming they were sent for me, and I wouldn't know if they were the real deal or not.

I decided to just wait for the time to come and then use my best judgement. Basically: wing it.

I wasted some more time looking at books until I got bored and just sat down on the floor. At first, I messed around on the two phones I had, but even that bored me eventually, so I ended up just staring at the bright 'EXIT' sign nearby. I wasn't right next to it, but it was in the next aisle and I could see the sign through the cracks in the shelves.

Footsteps knocked me out of my trance and I quickly whipped my head towards the sound. This had happened several times before and each time it was just a random person, but nonetheless I still stayed alert.

A tall, brown-haired, guy walked towards me. He wore a brown jacket and black slacks, paired with black shoes. His hair was slightly tousled and he didn't look to be very muscular, but he wasn't that skinny either. Something about him intimidated me a little, but I shook it off and stood up.

"I've been looking all over for you," he grinned, hands in his pockets.

I eyed him warily. "Have you been sent for me?" I asked, trying my best to maintain a calm composure.

"Yes, yes I have. I was sent for you. Come with me and we can talk more in the car," he replied, turning away from my slightly.

I felt uneasy.

"How do I know I can trust you?" I questioned, folding my arms and trying to look tough.

In reality, I was quite nervous.

"I know all about your situation, (Y/N). From the shooting at the food court to running away from the police," he responded, smiling cheerfully.

He seemed so kind, so trustworthy, but something just felt off.

I never told Ken my name.

I never told him that the shooting was at a food court, nor did I mention the police.

I glanced around quickly, looking for anyone else nearby. The man took a step towards me and I took a step back.

His face fell.

"I didn't mean to scare you. I really am here to help you. Please, just come with me and I can explain everything in the car. We don't have much time," He urged, holding his hand out to me.

I stared at him wide-eyed unsure of what to do.

I didn't trust him at all.

"Don't listen to him," another voice came from behind me.