A Not-So-Productive Study Group

Eliot burst through the front door as Alex finished taking the last bite of her sandwich. "You ready for the best homework party ever!" He yelled. Eliot came trotting into Alex's kitchen, books in hand. He tossed them on the counter and began rummaging through the fridge, "Got anything good?"

"I don't think so. I was going to run to the store but it seems to far away."

"Big mood." Eliot laughed as he pored himself a glass of orange juice. "What are you going to start with?"

"No sure. I have an English paper due this week that I haven't started yet. Maybe I should do that."

"Man, I probably won't do that until the night before."

"Isn't that why we are here, so you don't end up doing that. I don't want you to fail and then get held back."

"Ugh, that takes to much work."

A knock on the door interrupted Eliot's exaggerated eye roll. Ada opened the door, "You already here? Good." She took a seat on a bar stool. "We have stuff to talk about."

"Where are your books?"

"We have the same classes, why would I bring my own book when I can save room and use yours?" She smiled. It made enough sense to the other two, the counter wasn't that big.

"Want something to eat?"

"Nah, I had something before I came over."

So they sat down, organized their books, and began. The silence and focus didn't last long. Soon the three were talking about how stupid their teachers were or which people were too stupid to survive. Which football players were hottest came up once or twice.

"Come on you two, don't leave me hanging, I told you Chad is the top of the list for me, now it's your turn!" Ada nudged Alex under the table and looked expectantly at her.

"All the football players are assholes." Eliot responded

"We're not talking personalities, we're talking bodies."

"That seems a little subjective, doesn't it?" Alex countered.

"You guys are no fun." Ada grumbled.

"Fine, Don is definitely the hottest but he's a jerk so he's not worth anyone's time."

"See! It's not that hard. I'm impressed Eliot, he seems to throw a little straight for you."

"Shut up," Eliot laughed, "I told you, I don't want to date him, and besides, you said personality doesn't count."

"Fair enough," Ada nodded, "Alex, your up,"

"I don't know, I don't pay that much attention." Alex whined.

"Bull," Ada sighed, "Come on, give us something!"

"I mean, Ares is ok,"

"See! That wasn't to hard!" Ada grinned.

"Can we get back to work then?"

"Fine, fine. You're no fun," Math was a horrible class to have first period. That's a simple fact in Alex's mind. No quantity of coffee can make her understand how to get the derivative of x in any given scenario. Everyone in the class clearly agreed with her as they slouched over text books or drooled on their notes. Eliot slid a piece of paper onto Alex's desk as the teacher droned on. Ughhhhhh was all it said.

Alex grinned, a rolling her eyes, What do you want me to do about it? She slowly returned the note to its original owner.

Idk, you know know Ada isn't going to let it go, right?

Let what go?

What you said last night about Ares

Alex groaned silently, rubbing her eyes. She was starting to get a headache. Yeah, can we talk about it l8er tho? She set the paper back on Eliot's desk and he only nodded. He knew her better then almost anyone. They had been friends since they were little. It took a while for everyone to realize they weren't dating, but Eliot convinced Alex that if she ignored them, they couldn't bother her. Even though they still did, she appreciated the attempt. In freshman year when Alex had gotten her first F in an assignment, Eliot had rushed over to her house and broken into her room to hold her while she cried, helping her to realize it was a two point assignment and it would mean virtually nothing in her final grade. Even now, as a senior, Eliot helped Alex when she started to think she had ruined her life by getting a C or a D on some minuscule quiz.

That was the thing about being Alex's friend, she over reacted a lot, and they had to be there to hold her together. Usually, Eliot would tell her not to worry and Y would tell her to snap out of it. They each had different approaches, but Alex needed both of them.

Now that Ada knew that Alex thought that Ares was hot, she wouldn't let it go, Eliot was right about that. Ada had been telling Alex she needed to branch out for a while now. Ada said that having two friends was great, but Alex needed people outside of Ada and Eliot to talk to. She needed to practice making friends for when she goes to college. This was true, but that didn't mean Alex had to like it, and she didn't.

The bell rang the students sprang from their desks, rushing for the door. Ready to go with cheap food and watery milk.