Cheering From The Stands

Screaming filled her ears as Alex pulled into the parking lot by the field. Walking past the chain fences surrounding it, she gave some cash to a tired looking man, who struggled with a stack of papers before handing her a a small ticket, if could be called that. It was just a note saying "FOOTBALL" printed on blue card stock. Alex made her way down the grave path to the rickety bleachers. People shrieked and chattered. Alex looked around for anyone she knew. Alex reached for her phone as it buzzed madly in her back pocket.

"Hello?"

"I see you,"

"What?"

"Oh, sorry, it's Eliot. I came so you'd have someone to sit with. Im in the top corner. No, no, yes!" Eliot yelled into the phone as Alex used her head as a satellite. Eliot waved from the top of the risers. Alex skipped up to the spot he had saved next to himself.

"You didn't have to come, I don't want to bother you."

"Dude, chill, I know you, you don't know anything about this game."

"And you do?" Alex chuckled.

"No, but this way we can look at hunky men sweat." He grinned.

"Ew, you creep. I'm supposed to be here to see my boyfriend."

"Fine, so you have only one guy and I can look at the rest of the team." Alex rolled her eyes as Eliot continued to laugh at himself. A whistle blew and people started running at each other. Eliot was right, Alex knew nothing about football, maybe she should learn.

She enjoyed the next few hours much more then she thought she would. Talking with Eliot, she pointed out the few players she knew from sitting with Ares and told Eliot which ones he had a chance with.

"No, that one chews like a cow,"

"I think he's more likely to just pummel you instead."

"There's got to be someone good," Eliot groaned, "Come on, what about that one, 28."

"Noah? That could work. He's kind of clipping and shy, not really good with people. But I like him, that might actually work. I'll make sure to put in a good word." Alex grinned.

Once they reached half time, Alex decided to go get something to eat. Making her way down to the concessions stand she say the cheer leaders talking to the football players. Alex didn't think much of it until she noticed the few girls sitting by Ares, one sat on his lap, flipping her blonde hair and puffing her chest. It was probably normal for them do do that, there were many other girls talking to the other players, but they also had girlfriends who were on the cheer team. She was over thinking it. So Alex shook her head and continued. Alex got a pack of candy and went back to Eliot, suddenly much more sullen.

"You get the candy? Good. What's wrong?" Eliot asked.

"Nothing, but you should claim Noah fast if you want him, some cheerleaders over there looked like they were stocking their pray." Alex gave a half hearted grin.

"Do you want to go?" Eliot asked, concerned.

"No, it's just a little longer. You can go if you want. I was going to see if I could get some work done while I'm here."

"I'll stay then,"

"No Eliot, you're shivering, I'm not an idiot, you hate this!"

"You know I'm not an idiot either, something's wrong."

"Nothings wrong," Alex snapped. Eliot retracted at her harsh words.

"Fine, I'll leave then." Eliot stood and strut down the bleachers.

"No wait!"Alex stood, yelling after him. She watched as the dark haired figure turned into the parking lot and disappeared. Alex sat back. He hates you. A voice in the back of her head said. And he should, she responded. What had she done, her best friend hated her, her boyfriend was surrounded by netter options, and Ada just wanted some popular friends. She was a side piece, useless to everyone, easily discarded. Alex stood up again. She slowly made her way down the bleachers and headed to her car. She fumbled with the keys, got in, and just sat. Alex stared in straight ahead. Not looking for anything, just looking, thinking. She let the darkness spread, let her eyes blur. Only the sound of the end of third quarter brought her back to reality. Alex put her car into gear and made her way out of the parking lot.

The drive home gave her some time to reflect. Alex knew that she had over reacted. Eliot is her friend, friends fight, but she will apologize tomorrow and then they would go back to normal.

The next day at lunch, Alex did just that. She walked up to Eliot, apologized for being rude and snappy, and told him why she was that way. "What an asshole," Eliot yelled, "If he wants to date you then he needs to do better at letting other people know to back off."

"He's just doing it to make Alex jealous, right?" Ada responded, "You're not spending enough time with just him, so he's doing it to get your attention."

"Well, I'm paying attention, but it's not like he's doing anything to try and hang out with me either."

"That's 'cus he wants you to do it. It's more special to him if you are the one that asks." Ada stated casually. Apparently, this all made perfect sense to her. Eliot seemed skeptical but it would hurt Alex to try.

"Fine, I'll talk to him after school."

"Good,"