EIGHT

The night seemed to be still. It was quiet and the only audible sound in Nusayba's room was the 'tick' sound of the wall clock. It was as if she was having insomnia. She had been trying hard to sleep but one thought was keeping her awake- Abdallah's family. She had always thought she was in a worse condition until she saw Abdallah's siblings. They were in a worst condition. When they reached Abdallah's house earlier that day, they met his mum holding his sick brother - Salim. Abdallah had requested that his brother be taken to the hospital in their car and she had obliged. Her nurse was of help too. They spent almost two hours in the hospital. While Salim was transfused, Ammie had told Abdallah to go back home and look after his sick brothers. And she was like, there are some more that are sick? Of course, she offered to drop him at home again. When they were at his home, she had asked if she could say hi to his brothers and wish them quick recovery. He let her in and she was shocked. Three of them were lying sick. Two were on drip. So only Abdallah and one other boy, whom she assumed was Abdallah's immediate younger brother were healthy. All she did was say Alhamdulillah. The house was a small one. Her nurse had checked the drips and asked what time the infusion began.

"Around past 2pm" Abdallah's brother had replied.

"The nurse will be back anytime soon to check on them. She's our neighbour" Abdallah had explained further. Nusayba had nodded, stayed for few more minutes and took her leave.

These were the thoughts that filled her head and they were chasing away her sleep. The next day was a Saturday so she made up her mind. She would go and see Uncle Mik the next day, then she'll check on Abdallah. In Shaa Allah. She muttered to herself and closed her eyes, hoping that sleep would just grab her and take her to dream land.

---------------------------------------------------------

The next morning came so fast. Just like she couldn't sleep last night, she couldn't sleep this morning too so she simply hopped out of bed and went to shower. She got ready in a jiffy, bid her parents goodbye, slipped out of the house so her nurse doesn't see her, and off she went to the driver.

"Malam Habu ina kwana (Malam Habu good morning)" Nusayba greeted him all smiley.

"Lafiya Gimbiya. Ina zamuje da sanyin safiyar nan? (Morning Princess. Where are we going in this cool morning?)" Malam Habu smiled back.

"Gidan Uncle Mik. Aunty Nurse zata zo daga baya. (Uncle Mik's house. Aunty nurse will come later)" She said and he acknowledged it with a nod. He drove the car out of the parking lot and they zoomed off.

They soon arrived at Uncle Mik's place and that was when she noticed it was just a stone throw from Abdallah's house. She knocked on the door and a sleepy Uncle Mik opened the door.

"Uncle Mik it's past 10am and you're still sleeping?" Nusayba asked wide eyed after glancing at her wrist watch.

"Who comes to people's house early in the morning on a weekend?" He asked rubbing the sleep off his eyes.

"Well, I do" She said with an eye roll and made her way into the house.

"To what do I owe this early morning visit?" Uncle Mik asked closing the door behind him. It was then he noticed she was carrying a bagful of fruits.

"All these for me?" He asked pulling the fruits close to him but she held them tight.

"Noooo... They're not yours. Uncle Mik you remember Abdallah? My new friend I told you about?"
Uncle Mik narrowed his eyes, trying hard to remember who she was talking about. There were too many things going on in his head.

"The one I told you I bought water from and then I saw him in school. In fact we're studying the same course. You remember?"

"Oh yes I do" came Uncle Mik's voice. She helped him remember. She had definitely told him about that Abdallah but he didn't take his name to heart.