That Night

I walked out of the toilet and ran my hand through my hair. I stopped in front of the mirror and noticed the bags under my eyes. A sigh slipped my mouth. I smoothed the creases on my shirt and turned on the tap. I cupped my hands under the water and splashed my face. As the water dripped down, my hands gripped the sink bench to steady my shaking hands. As my breathing evened, I grabbed the towel and dried my face. My footsteps echoed against the tiles as I left the bathroom. I made my way to the small hallway. I walked past Harry's room and immediately heard the sound of his music playing. I could hear him humming the tune.

"Harrison?" I called out to him, knocking on his door. I heard shuffling and suddenly the music turned off. The door squeaked as it opened.

"What?" He answered quite grumpily.

"Why you up at this time, playing music?" I ask, with a tired sigh at the end. His hands fall into his pockets and he sighs.

"I thought it was a free world?" He breathed out. I sighed.

"Harrison. It's three am." I told him.

"Exactly. It's three am." He retorted. My face must have contorted in confusion because Harry just chuckled and folded his arms.

"Just go to sleep Lovell."

"It's Lo, Harrison." I corrected him.

"Well then it's Harry, 'Lo'." He responded, mocking me.

"Go to bed dickhead. You have work tomorrow." I said, ruffling my hand through his hair. As I padded away, I heard him mutter something under his breath. I ignored it and continued to walk to my room.

What a dumb idea that was.

You see, Harry and I used to be close as two people could be. We were practically brothers. Harry wasn't just a friend to me, he was more than a brother. The limit of how much I cared about him didn't exist. We moved in together around a year ago. Now Harrison and I are not gay or a couple, but so many people mistaked to be in love with each other; that is how close we were. Most nights, we were together on the lounge room floor always side by side. We were always doing something together; games, movies, talking, (maybe cuddling?). Everyday was a new bond, everyday was new chance to know each other even more than we did. What we had wasn't a normal friendship but it was something I loved.

Soon enough, after problems starting occurring, like bills, taxes and arguing over groceries, things got a little complicated. We both had to get jobs. I would leave early in the morning and come home in the early afternoon, Harry would leave at midday and arrive home late at night. We didn't see each other around the house anymore, only on weekends. We grew apart and we weren't as close anymore, no more late night talks or sitting in the lounge room together anymore. It was just jokes and small talk when we actually saw each other.

***

I pushed the key in the lock and twisted it. I opened the door and I felt a grin creep on my face when I saw Harry sitting on the lounge watching TV. I put my laptop and papers on the bench and sat next to Harry on the lounge. He didn't look at me, just kept focused on the TV. The sound of him crunching his popcorn filled my ears.

"I thought you were working late tonight again?" I asked. Harry finally peeled his eyes away from the TV and looked at me. He smiled and crunched on another piece of popcorn.

"It was cancelled. My boss got sick and he allowed all the workers a day off." He replied. I smiled.

"Why didn't you tell me?! I could have got off work and cooked us a lunch or dinner!" I exclaimed, nudging him. Harry laughed.