You Can't Be Mad, Right?

Ryan was alone. Dallon had left him for a week, seven days, 168 hours, 10,080 minutes, and he was already bored out of his mind. Well, obviously he was bored, he calculated how many hours and minutes were in a week. But not only was he bored, he was also lonely. He had tried to contact friends and make plans but everyone that he tried was busy.

He was laying on the couch, scrolling through the apps on his phone, some random movie playing for background noise, when he came across a post. It was simple, just some girl he used to go to school with posting pictures of her new dog. 'Hmm,' he thought, 'a dog could keep me company.' and with that thought it was set, he was getting a dog tomorrow.

It was nearly noon when he arrived at the shelter. He walked in and went directly to the woman at the front desk.

"Hello," she smiled, "are you here for a dog or cat?"

"Dog please."

"Alright, come with me."

He nodded and they walked to the back, passing a room where only meows could be heard and entering a room full of barking.

He took his time looking at, talking to, and playing with all the dogs, spending over an hour in the room. There were three that really seemed to like him, so he had three to choose from. The first one was a beautiful black lab Australian shepherd mix , the second was a tiny pomeranian, and the third was a husky golden retriever mix. The woman came back in and asked him if he had decided and he told her his dilemma. Her solution was simple, he could go into the back room and she would bring them in one at a time so he could actually play with them and find which one he connected with more. After that he had made a decision, he just hoped Dallon wouldn't be mad, after all he never asked if this was okay.

The days passed faster now as Ryan actually had something to do and soon enough it was the day Dallon was due home. Ryan was rushing around the house, trying to get everything in order and Dallon had just texted him saying he'd be there in ten minutes.

"Okay," he said to the dog, "the house looks okay, so he won't be mad about that. I've got dinner planned, I did the dishes, I did laundry. He can't be mad, right?" Then he heard the car pull in the driveway. He took a deep breath, "okay, we got this. It'll be fine. Now you sit and stay, I'll be back."

He walked to the front door to meet his boyfriend, at least he hoped he would still be his boyfriend after this. The door opened and Dallon walked in and set his stuff down but right before Ryan could even hug him a loud bark sounded through the house and Daisy, the black lab aussie mix came into the room.

"Ryan, what did you do?"

"I might've got a dog," he mumbled, eyes drawn to the floor.

Missy, the pomeranian came into the room next.

"Two dogs."

Then there was Buddy, the husky golden retriever mix.

"Three dogs."

"Are there any more?"

"No," a meow was heard, "okay, I might've got a cat too."

Although he didn't originally want one but while at the shelter a kitten escaped and he instantly knew he had to have her.