//Chapter Four//

"And here comes a thought.. that maybe some people try too hard and get too little recognition."-Lance
______________

Keith found himself cherishing every moment he spent with lance. He would start up conversations every now and then, worried for the next time Lance would end up leaving again. There was something about Lance that Keith could quite grasp. But he wanted to. No.. he needed to.

Today, lance had said nothing about rehab, so he decided to take it as a chance to make sure he hung out with Lance as much as possible. As he was laying in bed, he watched Lance with complete and utter interest as he walked around with a bit of a struggle, explaining to him what exercises he had to do.

"And they made me hold on to these bars, and use them to stay upright and walk forwards for a while. I almost fell a few times!" Lance grinned. Keith adored his grin. It bothered him why, though. He adored it because it was the brightest smile he'd ever seen someone have.

Lance turned to look at Keith, using the end of his bed for help to stay standing, the grin still plastered on the cuban's face, "hey, what rehab will you be going to?" He questioned.

Keith thought for a moment. He didn't exactly feel much pain anymore, and, in all honesty, he felt a lot better, Like he could manage on his own. But.. he found himself dreading that. For whatever reason, he wanted to still be hurt.

"I..think i am going to be out of here soon" he spoke softly, like if he said it any louder, he was afraid lance's heart would shatter. He cleared his through, "Oh, actually I'm not sure. My throats been bothering me. And um.. same with my arm. Maybe ill have them look at it" he lied.

Lance's eyes seemed to spark some curiosity, but he shrugged it off, "Hey, at least you'll talk to me, right?" He spoke softly, as if he was trying to comfort keith, "then you'll be able to leave. I know how badly you probably want to" he gave a slight laugh, but keith could see the unease in his eyes. Keith felt guilty.

"Better like me being around" Keith started, thinking quickly, "Maybe, uh, if you try hard enough you'll get me to give you my number" he said, and looked away, crossing his arms. His face felt like it was beginning to burn. He wondered slightly if it actually was, and if it could hide his smile.

Lance gave a wide grin, obviously looking past keith's "threat", and he hobbled over to keith, hugging him, "How about i just give you mine then?" He asked. Keith could feel heat on his shoulder where lance's head was, and wondered to himself if lance wanted fire to hide his smile too.

****

"Keith!" There was a scream. Keith whipped his head around, recognizing the familiar area. His bedroom. He was sitting in his bed with head phones on, and a knife clutched tightly in his hand. For a moment, he felt cold and unsure, and hardly noticed he was shaky. His eyes trailed the floor, and caught blood stained foot prints.

"MOM?! DAD?!" He shouted, and thats when he remembered what would happen outside. He turned and darted the knife straight into the window, the glass shattering all over the floor, and he climbed out the window, hopping onto the grass just a bit below. He lifted his head, eyes widening, when he saw his parents lying on the grass, the earth's bristles tinted red against their pale skin and mud caked hair.

"NO!" He cried, and ran forwards, but was caught on the arm. Someone had grabbed him. He turned quickly and held the knife up. His eyes widened at the huge man before him, that already had a large gash in his shoulder.

"I wont let you stab me again, you little-"
"GET AWAY!" Keith shrieked, swinging the knife, just missing the man's head. The man swerved out of the way and lost balance, letting Keith go. Keith took the chance and turned, running towards the garage, "Motor Cycle, Motor Cycle..... DAMNIT!" He shouted, and gave a yelp when he heard foot steps.

"Get back here brat!" The man grumbled, running now. Keith quickly turned his head, spotting a flash of metal behind a big sled, and heaved the sled away. He grabbed the motor cycle, struggling to turn it, then started it. As the man walked in, Keith hopped on and rushed forwards, knocking the man into the yard, and speeding away.

"Ill call the police when im somewhere.." Keith gulped, and shuddered as he remembered his parents dead bodies.

CRASH

****

Keith shot up from bed, shaking and crying. He clutched a hand tightly to his heart, and tilted his head back to look at the sky, "MOM, DAD, I'M SORRY!" He shrieked. This caused a terrified hop from lance, and he stood quickly with the help of his bed, "KEITH?! Keith, buddy, calm down whats wrong?!" He asked, and hobbled over to his bed, quickly engulfing the boy in his arms.

Keith hugged lance back quickly, hiding into his shoulder, and sobbing, "I couldn't save them, i tried. I tried. I COULDN'T SAVE THEM!" He screamed. Lance quickly hugged Keith tighter, so he couldn't say anything else, his eyes wide.

"Keith, take deep breaths, you're gonna freak the nurses out" he said, his voice shaky, "Calm down.. its okay." Keith hugged lance and sobbed until he exhausted himself out, and got a migraine.