-1-

I was watching out of the window as a once familiar car drove away, leaving me alone in a place I didn't know. I bit my lip hard as the car drove further away. My knees were shivering, from fear, from anxiety, from everything that had happened. All the strength left my legs as I fell to the ground, the hard ground instantly sending a shot of pain through my knees. A pair of warm arms were wrapped around me, whispering words into my ear as I started sobbing. The sobs went on for hours and hours...

I suddenly shot up from my bed, breathing for some air. I wiped the sweat from my forehead with my palm, adjusting my eyes to the clock on the wall. I sighed, not surprised at the results. Of course it would be 3 AM, this dream always appeared at 3 AM. I started thinking about the dream again.

When I was about 7, I was given up for adoption with no explanation given. We were a normal, happy family that stuck together at all times, so when I found my mother crying in the kitchen, I knew something was wrong. On the same day, I was driven to the adopting centre and was left there. I, of course, was sobbing and hugging my mother as hard as I could and begging her to not leave me. She kept repeating ''I love you'' and ''It's going to be okay'' , but one phrase that I still don't get is ''I have to do this for your own sake''. I have spent countless sleepless nights wondering about this phrase and repeating the same scenario over and over again. I shook my head as I tried to clear my thoughts.

There was something that I hadn't noticed while I was thinking about the dream, though. There was something, or someone, in the corner of my room. My heart beat instantly sped up by the discovery. I slowly looked to my left. A pair of deep blue eyes stared right back at me. It was indeed a someone. I could only see the person's eyes, since the the rest of the face was covered up by cloth. I felt the colour drain from my face instantly. I searched around for some kind of weapon for self defense but no luck. My hands were already starting to sweat. So, I did the only thing I could think of. I charged towards the person. With no plan at all. Stupid.

The person instantly shot a hand up and chanted a word in a language I didn't recognize. And that's when I froze. Literally. I was stuck in mid air. I couldn't move my legs or arms, it was a strange sensation. I tried opening my mouth to say something but even my mouth couldn't move. A feeling of fright went through my body leaving me absolutely terrified of what was about to happen next.

The person was carefully studying me before raising a hand once more. They started saying a long phrase this time instead of a single word. A golden light was escaping from their palm and surrounding my frozen body. Each word said, the more light came out. This all fascinated me, I even forgot to feel scared anymore.

When the person had finished, they slowly put their hand down and stared right at me, as if they were waiting for something. Soon, the golden light blinded my vision, taking me into darkness.