Cooking By The Book

I placed my hand over my cheek, flashbacks of my childhood flooding into my head.

I shook them out of my thoughts and jumped to the feeling of a hand on my shoulder.
"D-Daryl...Fuck, I'm so sorry..."

"It's alright, I-I'm fine."

He got out of bed and knelt down next to me, removing my hand from my cheek and placing his hand on my chin, lifting my head up.

"I...Oh my god. I didn't mean to, I-I'm so sorry Daryl." His voice cracked from tears.

"Don't cry, I should be the one doing that. It's alright."

He frowned, lightly rubbing my cheek with his finger.
"It looks like one of those turkeys you make on Thanksgiving."
I laughed, placing my hand on top of the one he had on my cheek.

I looked him in the eyes, moving forward until our lips connected.

"Dad? What're you doing?"

We quickly pulled away, and Rick ran over to him.

"Carl-"

"Did mom not mean anything to you?"

"I never said that. I loved your mother more than life itself. But there's also times people have to move on."

Carl nodded.
"Okay. Just...two questions."

"What is it Carl?"

"Do you love him?"

"Yes, I love him very much."

"And does he make you happy?"

"Very. This is the happiest I've been since I found you."

Carl smiled, hugging Rick.
"Does that mean I have two dads?"

I chuckled.
"I guess so."

He pulled out of the hug, running into my arms.
"Thank you for understandin' who I am."

"You're welcome Papa."

Tears instantly fell down my cheeks as he finished his sentence, and Rick just smiled.
"Never thought I would ever hear those words." I quietly cried, hugging him tighter.

"Well, now you did Papa."

I didn't hide my cries anymore, only attracting the attention of everyone in the prison, but when they saw me, they just smiled.

~~

We were in the cafeteria like room, and Carol and I were making breakfast for everyone else.

"Can you pass me the eggs for a quick second?" I asked, pouring the pancake mix into a bowl.

"Of course."

She handed me the carton and I grabbed four for the giant batch I was making.
I separated the yolk from the whites and mixed them separately, just to make them fluffy.
I finished adding everything in, and I grabbed a big plate, along with a pan to add the pancake batter into.

I finished making the pancakes, and I buttered each one, then setting the table with plates and cups.

Carol had made eggs and bacon, and set them on the table, along with my pancakes.

"Hey y'all!" I called out.
"Breakfast's ready!"

After a couple of seconds, I heard everybody's footsteps coming down the stairs, their heels clicking against the cement floor.

~~

I sat down next to Rick, and Carl sat on the other side of me.

"Who made the pancakes?" Carl asked.

I raised my hand a little, and everyone looked shocked.

"Sorry for the language Carl," Glenn started. "But holy shit Daryl. These are really fucking good!"

"Thank you, but I wasn't the only chef. Carol did everything else, I just made pancakes."

She got complimented, and so did I, but for the first time in years, I felt...happy, and comfortable, and welcomed, and just...loved.

"You okay Daryl?" Maggie asked from across the table.

I quickly wiped my eyes, nodding.
"Yeah. I was just thinkin'."

"'Bout what?"

"I was just thinkin' 'bout this group, and how for the first time in years, basically my whole life, I felt happy, comfortable, welcomed, and just, loved. For me, it's just a lot to take in."

I heard a fork drop and I looked over at Rick, who quickly pulled me into a hug, secretly kissing my neck.

"We love you Daryl."

"Yeah." Carl smiled, hugging my other side. "We love you Dad-I-I mean Daryl. Daryl, sorry."
Everybody laughed, and I highfived Carl from behind.