[six]

"Table for two, please," Cody told the host.

The host grabbed two menus and we followed him. Cody walked in front of me and I followed behind him.

The host led us to our table and set the menus down. Cody pulled my chair out for me and I sat down.

"Thank you," I said, as I scooted the chair in. Cody walked around to his chair and sat down.

I flipped through the menu. Should I get pasta? A salad? I was thinking about getting the grilled chicken sandwich.

I closed the menu and set it down on the table.

"So, I know you didn't text me to come here just to eat," I said.

"Of course I wouldn't. I wanted to get to know you better. And I hope you'll get to know more about me."

"Okay, what do you want to know about me?"

Cody thought about it for a second. "Anything. Tell me something about yourself."

"Well, I'm 18 and I'm a senior in high school. I actually took a year off of high school which explains my age."

"Really? Why'd you take a year off?"

"My dad passed away due to cancer and it affected my family and me pretty badly. And after he passed, I stopped eating and socializing with anyone, and I had to be admitted into the hospital because I was so malnourished. Then I was diagnosed with depression. It was just a really bad time for me since I was super close to my dad, you know?"

"I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure he's looking down at you with pride."

The waiter interrupted our conversation take our order. We both ordered and went back to talking after the waiter left.

"Well, tell me something about you," I told Cody, trying to make the conversation more lighthearted.

"Uh, I'm not too interesting."

"Are you serious? You're the son of a former MLB player and you yourself are an MLB player. I think you're very interesting."

"Yeah, I mean, I was supposed to go to college but then the Dodgers organization picked me to be a part of their team so I ditched college to play baseball."

"Do you ever regret not going to college?" I asked.

"No, not at all actually. Baseball has always been my life so when I saw the opportunity to be able to play baseball for a living, I took it."

"Look where you are now! Bet your parents are real proud of you." 

"Yeah, I owe everything I have to them. Man, the sacrifices they've made." 

The waiter came back with our food and set it down in front of us. We thanked the waiter as he walked away. 

--- 

We walked out of the restaurant, Cody holding the door open for me. We stood outside for a bit, talking about whatever. I really feel like I got to know him so much more. 

"So, when can I see you again?" Cody asked. 

"I'm basically free every weekend and most weekdays. So, anytime," I chuckled. "Oh, wait. Here, give me your phone." 

"What, why?" 

"Well, how are you gonna text me if you don't have my number? Besides, Instagram DMs are sooo boring." 

Cody handed me his phone and I went to the phone app. I entered my phone number and saved it as my contact. I gave his phone back to him. 

After talking a bit more, we finally decided that it was time to part ways. He walked me to my car and saw me off. I  waved bye to him through the window and drove home. 

--- 

By the time I got home, it was already almost 4 PM. That meant my sister was probably home. 

I walked in the house and Samantha was sitting on the couch. 

"Hey, Sam. You get home okay?" I asked. 

"Yeah. Uh, where were you today? I didn't see you at school today." 

I didn't answer her right away. I contemplated telling her that I met with Cody. Did I want her to know or do I keep it secret until there was something more? 

"Oh, uh, I overslept so I just stayed home. I was just out getting lunch with a friend." 

"Oh, okay."

My sister doesn't care or suspect anything. I went upstairs to my room so I could change. 

When I got to my room, I immediately took all my clothes off so I could get into my pajamas, which really only was sweats and a tank. Ahhhh, much better. 

I quickly texted Laura to see what work I missed at school today. Once she texted back, I got started on everything I missed.  

--- 

(480) XXX-XXXX
hey jess, it's cody ! let's hang soon?

JESS
oh hey, what's up cody! yes, let's do it !

CODY
i leave for a three game series tomorrow, but as soon as i get back you're comin' to another game ;) 

JESS
aww, i'll miss ya :/ sounds good to me! i'm lookin forward to it !

I set my phone down on my desk and I started getting ready for bed. I put my hair up in a quick bun and went to the bathroom. I brushed my teeth, flossed, and washed my face. After drying my face off, I went downstairs. 

"Oh, hey Mom." 

"Hi, honey. You rest up today?" my mom asked. 

"Yeah, it felt good, that's for sure. Got lunch and everything." 

"Aw, that's great! Finish up the work you missed and don't stay up too late tonight, alright?" 

"Will do." 

---

The next morning when I woke up, I did everything I usually did. Brush teeth. Wash face. Brush hair. Change. 

Today, I picked out a basic white cropped tee and paper bag jeans with my Adidas Superstars. I looked in the mirror, fixing my hair and checking my outfit once again. I grabbed my backpack and had my phone in my hand, then heading downstairs. 

I walked into the kitchen. "Good morning, Mom," I greeted. 

"Good morning, sweetie. Need any breakfast?" 

"Uh, no. I'll just grab a muffin," I said as I packed my lunch. 

I shoved a water bottle in my backpack, followed by my lunch. I grabbed two muffins and called out for Sam. 

"Sam! We gotta get going!" I yelled out from downstairs. 

"I'm coming, just give me a second."

"Meet me in the car! I grabbed you a muffin already." 

I said bye to my mom and left the house to get in the car.