Chapter 2

The streets were empty, as empty as ever. A cold shiver ran down my spine as I walked through the streets towards the bakery. I was surprised that someone was working there that day. I was even more surprised, that I did not get breakfast there alone. In front of me stood a young man, who reached for the bag and turned around. My breath caught. In front of me was none other than Alex, the boy I called my best friend years ago. I was a bit unsure how to react. I forced a small smile but did not look at him. "Bella?" Asked the voice, which I knew too well. I turned around and looked at him sheepishly. "You're still the only one who calls me that ... Alex." he laughed and hugged me. It was a weird feeling, he had changed. He had grown taller, grown-up he was more attractive. I quickly tried to put my thoughts aside again and took the bag with the breads. "I heard my mother visited you yesterday?" He said while walking next to me. I nodded and smiled slightly at him. "And I heard you went to Japan?" I replied and looked again through the deserted streets. He seemed to feel the same empty feeling as me and suddenly put his arm around my waist. "Isn't it scary, so quiet and abandoned, like a ghost town?" In me I felt again this stupid tingling and tried to cover it up somehow. "I'm afraid." I said after a while and looked up at him. I really did. I had never imagined that I would ever experience a war. We stopped in front of my house and just looked at each other. "Sorry to bring such a tragedy back together." Alex said and sighed. I nodded. "Yes, it's kind of ... a pity." Again he put an arm on my hip and again I felt this tingling sensation. "I'll think about bringing you and your mother to us." He said suddenly and looked at me with a serious look. "What..?" I asked in surprise and leaned against the pillar of the verander. "I know we are ... maybe friends, acquaintances ... or whatever, but I know that your family is important to my mother ... and also to me." I was still totally surprised of his words, but I liked his thoughts. "My mother is terribly lonely ... ever since my father left." I had to pull myself together, not to cry again. But as always it happened, the tears just ran down my cheeks. "Bella ..." he said softly, hugging me. I clung lightly to his shirt and just cried. "That's not fair" I said under the many sobs and looked at him. I quickly wiped away my tears and get out of his arms. "I'm sorry" I said quietly and sighed. "I'm usually not that emotional" I added, searching the keys in my pocket. "Let's all have breakfast together - at my house?" Alex asked and gave me my key, which he had found in my pocket before I did. I Laughed and took my keys. "Would you like to come in for a minute? We'll talk to my mom." Nodding he followed me into the house, his hand was on my back all the time. I didn't know why he was touching me all the time, but in this situation it felt damn good. Alex explained everything to my mother and it seemed she liked it. "Oh that would be wonderful!" She said and came up to us. "Isabell, is that okay?" I immediately affirmed and cautiously put my arm around Alex. When I looked up to him, our eyes met. "He's still ... very important to me" I said to my mother, but looked at him. The three of us with breakfast in the luggage went to the house of Alison and greeted her friendly. "Glad you two are here" she said, looking at us with relief. "It's usually very quiet in this big house." Alex added and kissed his mother on the cheek. When we set the table, another guest came. "Anyone home?!" A very familiar voice called out of the hall. "Gaby?!" I asked excitedly and immediately closed her in my arm. Gaby was Alex's sister and has always been a very important person to me. We laughed and looked at each other. "God Isabell, you have become so beautiful" she said, winking at Alex. I rolled my eyes laughing and helped Alison set the table. I could hear Alex and Gaby constantly whispering, but I could not understand what they said. I would never have thought that it was such a big deal. It should change everything between me and Alex.

_____________________________________
Please don't judge my language, English is not my first language.