Chapter 27- The Little Red Stool

"There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment."

~Sarah Dessen

----------------------------------------------

My hand reaches forward and the rough texture of the rope is felt against the centre of my palm. The hand that is holding Harry's leaves his grip to hold the rope as well and I begin tugging it down. It is much easier to get it to unlatch now that I am older and stronger. When I was little it used to be such a hassle.

The hidden staircase begins unfolding and lumps of dust flies down causing my nose to feel the tickling sensation that comes right before I sneeze. If I sneeze than my parents will hear and I don't want them to acknowledge me at the moment.

Wow.. I know that is weird. I'm always complaining about how much they don't pay attention to me but I'm really hoping they continue at the moment. It is with good reason too! If they see Harry here who knows what kind of trouble I might get into.

My fingers reach up to clamp over my nose. I take a few breaths in and out of my mouth to calm the feelings before relaxing to see the last step is finally at my feet.

"Follow me and be careful, they creak" I whisper to him. Through the darkness of the closet I can see his shadow and his head move in a slight nod. With that being said, I begin leading the way up the stairs.

As soon as the bottom of my sock covered foot landed flat against the first step, I took in a sharp breath. The memories come flooding back in an instant just from the simple little contact. My movents carry on slowly until my upper half is through the hole in the cieling. I can now see everything that has been here for the past three years. Not an object is out of place and each one carries a layer of dust caked on top. I step onto the hardwood floor that is adjacent to the hole. Harry climbs into the big room seconds later but I don't look at him just yet. I can feel the heat radiating off of his arm that is right next to mine. The air is musty and the room is dimly lit from the window that has no curtains attatched. The moonlight shines into the room elegantly and brings out the grey colour of the dust.

A mirror still hangs on the wall on the opposite side of the room, it too is covered in a layer of dust that has built up over time. When I am done taking a quick glance over the room, I turn to pull the staircase back up just in case my parents open the door. I doubt that they will but I might as well take the extra precaution.

There is a small red stool sat at the equally small wooden table. A paint pallet is laid on top of the table and brushes are lined up by size beside it.

I walk towards the table and sit next to the stool, not really caring if the dust is going to mess up my pants. They are just sweat pants after all.

My hands slide over the seat of the stool and the clumps of dust are sent flying down onto the floor, some of them stick in between my fingers.

My fingers go to work trying to pick off the dust that is sticking to my hands.

"I use to come up here all the time" I say as I sense Harry still standing in his spot near the staircase. His silence was my cue to continue speaking so that is exactly what I did.

"Everyday I would come up here with Kyle and he would sit here," I pat on the little plastic stool that is a vibrant shade of red, "- and he would make his little finger paintings while I would work on my art".

My eyes switch over to the isle that is set up just a foot away from where I'm sitting.

"He was the most amazing little brother and I couldn't have asked for anyone better. Mum and dad loved him as well, we used to spend a lot of time together as a family. We'd go on picnics and we even went on a camping trip once." I laugh lightly and shake my head at the treacherous memory. Let's just say that camping was never again even thought of to be attempted . First and last time .