Chapter 25- Dad Approves?

"A flower cannot blossom without sunshine, and man cannot live without love."

~Max Muller

---------------------------------------------

His voice was firm and commanding as always and I immediately followed the instructions and stepped into the room.

The back of his chair was facing me but I could see a cloud of smoke rising into the air in short puffs.

"You have more information, right?" He asks and I can sense the edge in his voice without having to see his face.

"Yes, sir" I reply.

He spins around in the chair to face me and his sharp features are elongated by the dim lighting in the room.

"Well?" He encourages as his elbows lean forward to rest on the table.

"Her parents are usually away on business trips and leave her in the house by herself. Turns out they don't like her for some odd reason, neither do the kids at school."

"Fuck.." He mumbles under his breath as he stabs the end of the cigarette into the ash tray, putting it out. His fingers brush through the stubble on his face as his strong gaze stays on me.

"I thought she would mean a lot to them, her being the only child and all" he speaks again.

"From what she has told me they despise her if anything" I tell him, recalling the information she has told me previously.

"Well what does mean a lot to them?"

"Work I'm guessing."

"No .. There has to be something much deeper than that. They have a nice house, smart young daughter.. They seem like a picture perfect family. Things aren't adding up. There has to be some kind of key information we don't know about, Harry."

"Well.." I begin and his head snaps up to look directly at me.

"Well what? Do you know anything else?" He asks and his palms lay flat against the wooden structure of his table now.

"She told me that there was an incident some time ago that made her parents begin to dislike her."

He stood up from his leather rolling chair and went around to the front of the table so he could be in front of me.

"What incident?" His voice lowers and his eyes squint in suspicion.

"I'm not sure. She seems to be traumatised by what ever it is though" I say as I remember the look on her face from when she was speaking to me that day that feels like an eternity ago but was only a few days ago in reality.

This makes me hate this job and this man as well. I told her that she could trust me, that is was okay to confide in me yet here I am telling him things I swore would be kept only between me and her. My choices are limited yet so hard to decide between.

It's her or them. The people who need me or the broken girl who believed me. If it wasn't for the fact that he took them away , I could actually settle down with a girl like Lauren and not be worried about work and all this damn baggage I have.

She doesn't deserve to be treated like this.

She doesn't deserve to be used.

I have to come clean to her soon but with everything that is happening in school and with her, it will not be an easy task.

"Well if you want what you came here for , you'll make sure to figure it out" he says while cracking his knuckles one at a time.

And this is what makes everything so much harder.