Chapter 11: Joshua

Joshua

"I'm worried about Mags, man." Mateo sat by my hospital bed, his foot thumping against the floor. "She ain't been to school since Wednesday."

"Did you talk to her mom? Maybe she's sick?" I ask hopefully, but I already know he has, or at least Aria has. It's not unusual for Maggie and her parents not to see each other for days at a time. Her father is a truck driver, gone for days or weeks at a time and her mom works long hours at an all night diner.

"She ain't seen her either. Filed a missing person's this morning after Aria talked to her.

I bite my tongue to keep the curse I want to say from leaving my mouth then I take a deep breath. "I need to get out of here. Now."

Mateo nods and goes to get a nurse.

They aren't happy about letting me leave but they can't legally hold me here against my will. It took much longer than I would have liked to get all the discharge papers signed and get me out of the hospital.

As soon as we are walking out the door, I pull out my phone and call my brother.

"Where is she, Nicolas."

"Well, if it isn't the prodigal son." The voice on the other end says, and I can feel the blood drain from my face as my heart stops.

"Father."

"Come home and she will be released back to her family, unharmed."

"She has nothing to do with any of this. Just let her go."

"I will gladly let her go, as soon as you agree to come home. I have a job I need you to do."

"I'm done with that life. Nicolas can handle it."

"But I want you. Nicolas has other duties. You were always better at wet work than him."

I drop the phone from my ear, rubbing my free hand through my hair.

"Dude, we're in the middle of the street here." I hear Mateo saying as he waves a hand in front of my face. I ignore him. Taking a deep breath I bring the phone back up to my ear.

"Where?"

I can hear the smile in my father's voice, he knows he has won. "I will have Nicolas text you the address." He hangs up and I drop to my knees, punching the asphalt, wishing it was my father.

"Hey! Joshua! Joshua!" Mateo grabs my head, forcing me to look at him, to hear him. "Dude, I know you're pissed, I know you're having a mental break right now, but we really need to move it to the sidewalk."

I nod, then stand, following him out of the road. Angry motorists yell obscenities as they are finally able to pass.

"What was that on the phone just now?"

"Nothing."

"That wasn't nothing, bro. Let me help you."

"You can't, Mat. Not this time."

"Joshua, you can count on me for anything. You know that."

"My past is catching up to me and I can't let you get involved. This is much bigger than small town gangs. Just take me to my bike. I'll handle this on my own."

"Tell me straight, man. Is this going to get you killed?"

I try to smile, "Probably. But the important thing is that Maggie will be safe." I say the words, but with my father involved, even that isn't guaranteed.