3 - "I'm saving you, idiot!"

[3 - "I'M SAVING YOU, IDIOT!"]

"Well? Take what you need and go." Toby scowls, raising an eyebrow.
I wipe my eye softly and nod, grabbing Mia's arm and walking into an aisle. I stop in the middle of it and make sure no one is looking, then start to break down in tears.

I swipe the tears away and sniff, starting to put food and other supplies in my bag. There were a few things that I grabbed that wouldn't be helpful, but I still wanted to grab them just in case.

"Chesh," Mia says, "I don't feel so good."
She was collapsed on the ground, holding her leg. She looked completely pale, as if she just saw a ghost.

"Maybe we should go to the medicine aisle-"
"Cheshire, no. It's too late." She says, looking up at me.

Mia gives me one last smile before her eyes roll to the back of her head. I drop the can I was holding and take a step toward her.
"Mia?" I whisper to her, but she doesn't answer. "No!"

Tears start welling in my eyes as I walk over to her, lifting her tracksuit pants up to her knee.

She had a bite mark on her calf - not deep enough to make her turn straight away, but enough to make her suffer slowly. Why didn't she tell me?

I'm overwhelmed with sadness and betrayal. She just left me...

I pull the pants back down her leg and push my fists into my eyes, hoping to stop the tears. It did stop the tears, but not the sobbing.

Suddenly I hear a voice calling out to me. Not my name, but someone yelling "Miss!" snapped me back into consciousness.

I look up and see Mia beginning to lift herself up. I look behind me, Toby was running toward me. He jumped on Mia to keep her down.
"Run!" He says, but it doesn't register as Toby's voice. It registers as Taylor's.

"Fucking go!" Toby screamed at me, his voice back to normal.

The ringing comes back as Mia sinks her teeth into Toby's forearm. He looked back at me in panic, then his eyes roll to the back of his head.

I shuffle back with my feet, not being able to stand.

A hand suddenly grabs me by my upper arm and pulls me up and backward, making me scream.

"Calm down, idiot! I'm saving you!" Says a voice through the ringing.
I look back, a blurry figure standing in front of me.

They were taller than me, and their hair was a red smudge in my vision. Tears were streaming down my face as I tried to make the picture of the figure holding tightly to my arm, but before I could it pulled me away from the horrid groaning coming from what was probably Mia. Or maybe Toby turning.

Whatever it was, it was following us at a decent pace.

As we were running, three more blurry figures catch up to us. I immediately start to panic, but keep running to not slow the person grabbing my arm down.

"New addition to the team?" Says the figure with the white-ish blob on its head.

"Seems like it." I turn to see another blurry figure on my right, running slightly slower than the rest but still keeping up.

"Just shut up and run faster." The figure with the red blob yelled, picking up the his speed.
His hand was still gripped tightly to my upper arm, so I had no choice but to run as faster as well to keep up. I didn't want to slow them down.

We reach a gate to the school on the other side of town. My vision was less blurred with tears, so I could make out some detail.

A boy with blond hair and a black hat starts trying to push the gate open, with a boy with white hair fiddling with the lock.

The infected were closing in, and my entire body was planted on the ground. I couldn't move my feet.
The boy with the red hair's hand was still tightly grasped around my wrist, which was the only thing that was supporting my weight.

His fingers were wrapped around my tiny wrist, the difference between them both amazing and scary. They were making red marks on my wrist, making me twist a little to make it more comfortable. He tightened his grip again.

A boy with black hair that I hadn't seen started slamming his bat into the heads of the infected coming too close. He must have stayed behind us, keeping the infected at bay with his bat. Just like he was now as blond and white haired boys were trying to open the gate.

My breathing begins to quicken as the boys have no luck opening the gate. I can't die like this.
My heart beats faster and I begin to shake.
The red head must have noticed, because he looks at me in shock and disgust.
"Calm down, would you?" He yells at me, his voice anything but calming.

A voice chirps "I got it!" and the gate flings open wide.
The red head throws himself and me into the safe space beyond the gates, everyone following behind after they close the gate successfully.
We stop 50 metres away from the gate, and I collapse.