nine: so i can be happy

"I can't believe you're taking me here," I gasped, and opened the door even before my car rolled to a stop. Taylor didn't say anything because he was still in awe of my car (I think it was an ashton martin my mother bought for me when I got out of the mental hospital). There wasn't anybody around, but I already knew where I was.

"Come on, come on, let's go!" I pulled Taylor out of the car, and I speed-walked up to the building. Barking erupted as soon as I knocked on the door. 

He grinned, and then pulled out two metal rods, and began to pick the lock on the door. 

"Taylor!" I demanded. I didn't want to get arrested for breaking and entering. 

Taylor shoved me away and continued to scrape at the lock until it clicked open. "Chill, I locked the shelter keys inside the shelter, so this is the only way to get in. My ma runs the place. We're a nonprofit no-kill that rescues pound dogs." 

"Oh my gosh," I whispered as we entered the building. "You are so much more sexy right now than you were fifteen minutes ago." 

He grinned, and then flicked on the lights. Around me, I saw dogs everywhere in little rooms. On the glass room to the left, I saw a group of beagle puppies. On the right, two pitbulls were snoozing, all swaddled up in blankets in their pit-bull glory. 

"Please tell me we can play with them," I whimpered, and the puppies whimpered back. 

In response, Taylor unlocked the door to the puppies and we walked inside. "You are almost as sexy as Tom Hiddleston right now," I told him, before making a beeline for the beagle puppies. 

•••

The dogs must have cast some spell over me, because by the time Taylor had driven me home, I was about ready to eat his face off. Not literally, obviously, because that would be cannibalism and that would be frowned upon in many countries. But figuratively, as in the sense that I really wanted to kiss him. 

We tripped up to the steps towards my house, giggling and kissing and doing gross couple things. "My parents aren't home," I whispered, as I fumbled for the keys. Before anyone calls me a slut, I must justify three things. 

1) The dogs made me really happy

2) The puppies had me on some sort of high

3) oh, and Taylor is pretty attractive. 

"I know," Taylor grinned, and I finally jammed the key into the lock of the house. The door clicked open and we tumbled inside, still making funny noises and kissing. "I have one in my wallet." 

"Probably the only thing you have in there," I murmured, before roughly sticking my hands into his back pockets to search for said wallet. I also may have felt him up, since I had the chance. Carpe diem, right? Or in this case, carpe night-em. Haha, I was so punny.

"JAMIE!" I immediately broke apart from Taylor, shoving him back into the door hard enough to make a nice solid thumping noise. 

"Oh, sorry," I winced, and immediately put my hand up to my head for some reason even though it was Taylor who probably had a concussion right now. "Do you want some frozen peas for that?" 

"Get out!" I turned to see my father who brandished a vase from the second floor, and flinging it at Taylor, who immediately sprinted off when he saw the flying vasery. He really wasn't kidding when he said vasery wasn't his thing. The ugly vase shattered into chunks and scattered across the front hallway.

"Bye Jamie!" he managed to squeeze in before shutting the door and running off. The bastard. He left me alone to face my father. 

"Jamie," my father fumed, "This will have consequences."